Additional update renderings for Augusta‘s Building #3 with a top floor (9th floor) including a rooftop restaurant with a indoor dining and a outdoor patio.
A279D1EA-85B7-4F2B-99EC-5CF5F75F9D42.jpeg
7F0F4E18-B191-42C3-BA00-9613A58017B3.jpeg
64AE8BEC-4C87-4884-9A6B-539A93346369.jpeg

What a well-mannered group of buildings! The architects have a nifty portfolio - on my visits to downtown Hamilton, I've admired their work, but didn't know it was one firm. They sure have a skilled hand with restoring and integrating fine-grained street architecture.
Does anyone know what the facade material is on the one facing James St.? I hope it's not the dread EIFS. Precast, maybe?

*edit: I just looked back through the photos. It does indeed look like precast. :)

Last edited:
Downtown Hamilton is punching far above its weight in terms of design quality. It must be the creative influence of its large population of artists.

Downtown Hamilton is punching far above its weight in terms of design quality. It must be the creative influence of its large population of artists.
Might not be a popular opinion but I feel like the height rule has also helped a bit. Feels like the design of buildings in Hamilton focus more on their impact on the streetscape whereas Toronto’s building designs seem to focus on their impact on the skyline. It’s nice from afar but some of the towers over 50 stories really just feel like floors copy/pasted upwards and it gets less interesting the more you see it.

Might not be a popular opinion but I feel like the height rule has also helped a bit. Feels like the design of buildings in Hamilton focus more on their impact on the streetscape whereas Toronto’s building designs seem to focus on their impact on the skyline. It’s nice from afar but some of the towers over 50 stories really just feel like floors copy/pasted upwards and it gets less interesting the more you see it.

@Undead laughed, but one can easily find some great examples of both contemporary design and historicism in terms of condo and apartment building design from Hamilton, particularly in and around James Street.

Plus, a lot of artists were priced out of the walkable neighbourhoods they tend to like in Toronto due to gentrification and moved to Hamilton, giving the city plenty of creative flair that's starting to show in the public realm. Public and private spending on art apparently hasn't increased fast enough to retain a large population of artists in downtown Toronto who make enough to pay the higher rents.

Urban Hamilton feels a lot more like the Toronto of the mid to late 2000s before mass gentrification occurred in the 2010s around the older parts of the city, a vibrant and fairly affordable place with a mix of blue and white collar workers and artists and many independent businesses.

Last edited:
Hamilton hasn’t been affordable for artists in over a decade. That wave happened ages ago. Those artists are now homeowners who fight intensification.

While i like these buildings, it feels like a really missed opportunity to not plan the block and activate the alleyways between the buildings. There could have been really cool in between spaces but they’re just vehicle access. Not sure if it was the developer or the city but it feels shortsighted to me.

Back