August 30
IMG_2008.JPG
IMG_2009.JPG
IMG_2010.JPG
IMG_2011.JPG

I have to admit they did a real good job with the colour of the stone lintels - the building looks like it's just always been there..

..what are those metal squares for though..?

ohh wait I think that is where the awning is going to be hanging off of..

Any word on Retail Tenants yet?

Downtown Hamilton is in desperate need for fashion retailers, specifically for men, but I doubt we’ll see anything like that in this part of the core.

More likely to be a Shoppers Home Health store with mobility devices and bedpans.

There’s a reason every guy under 45 takes GO to Union (Eaton Ctr) or Exhibition (Queen West) to shop.

Downtown Hamilton’s economy won’t grow on trendy (read: over-priced) restos and ‘gastropubs’ alone. We need variety!

Any word on Retail Tenants yet?

Downtown Hamilton is in desperate need for fashion retailers, specifically for men, but I doubt we’ll see anything like that in this part of the core.

More likely to be a Shoppers Home Health store with mobility devices and bedpans.

There’s a reason every guy under 45 takes GO to Union (Eaton Ctr) or Exhibition (Queen West) to shop.

Downtown Hamilton’s economy won’t grow on trendy (read: over-priced) restos and ‘gastropubs’ alone. We need variety!
The Augusta/Hughson building will have a restaurant called CaioBella both on the ground floor and utilizing the massive rooftop space: https://instagram.com/ciaobellahamilton?igshid=MWZjMTM2ODFkZg==

The James St S space will not be a restaurant, but something else that the neighbourhood needs badly.

Steve did mention he doesn't think downtown needs only restaurants and he aims to find other types of tenants for the James St location. He says the north unit will likely be a restaurant, but the units further south will be something else, and nothing to compete with existing local businesses, so no barbershop for example.

you need more people downtown for that to happen. It'll come as the condo blocks open more.

Not if retail isn’t included in the og plans, which is the case with the majority of Hamilton’s development proposals.

Hamilton will remain unaffordable for folks who want to start small businesses, and chains will continue to pass us by if council doesn’t start mandating retail/commercial spaces of varying sizes in each and every development — yes, even those that aren’t on main arterials!

Y’all really need to start paying more attention to your City Councillor’s actions vs trusting their tweets (ie Touting Vision Zero while Actively Rounding Curbs).

When it comes to affordability —whether that be Residential or Commercial— Hamilton Staff & Council are not on our side.

Remember that special arrangement that allowed Loblaws to retain massive surface lots at Dundurn (& Emerald, & The Delta), all along an LRT route?

Per The Public Record

“Choice, the property arm of Loblaws, filed three site-specific appeals for their properties at 50 Dundurn South (Fortinos plaza), 435-447 Main Street East (No Frills plaza), and 1124 Main Street East (Dollarama at The Delta).

Under the agreement, the three properties will be allowed special exemptions to ‘ensure the continued viability of the commercial plazas’ states an affidavit worn by the City’s Senior Project Manager – Urban Planning [as she was then] Shannon Mckie”

The Augusta/Hughson building will have a restaurant called CaioBella both on the ground floor and utilizing the massive rooftop space: https://instagram.com/ciaobellahamilton?igshid=MWZjMTM2ODFkZg==

The James St S space will not be a restaurant, but something else that the neighbourhood needs badly.

Steve did mention he doesn't think downtown needs only restaurants and he aims to find other types of tenants for the James St location. He says the north unit will likely be a restaurant, but the units further south will be something else, and nothing to compete with existing local businesses, so no barbershop for example.

Is Hasty Market relocating here from Corktown Plaza?

Other than that, Downtown lacks in Hardware Stores and Pet Shops.

Not if retail isn’t included in the og plans, which is the case with the majority of Hamilton’s development proposals.

Hamilton will remain unaffordable for folks who want to start small businesses, and chains will continue to pass us by if council doesn’t start mandating retail/commercial spaces of varying sizes in each and every development — yes, even those that aren’t on main arterials!

Y’all really need to start paying more attention to your City Councillor’s actions vs trusting their tweets (ie Touting Vision Zero while Actively Rounding Curbs).
I mean, almost all developments include retail space at ground floor. I do agree all should, especially on arterials (Main St and King St have been annoying devoid of retail space) but also on any side streets. I'm glad to see 11 Robert for example include retail, but your point about chains passing us by is mostly fine by me. One of my favourite parts of living in downtown Hamilton is that it's almost completely devoid of any chains. I haven't eaten at McDonald's in like 1.5 years because there just isn't one close to me. James St North of King St has maybe a single chain? Tokyo Smoke. That's part of why I love it and love living nearby.

It's the closest thing to being outside North America I've been able to find in North America when it comes to the retail scene actually. There's also a few clothing stores opening up, including shoe spots. Men's clothes are difficult to find anywhere. I usually end up at Simon's in the hell scape known as Square One, but men's clothing has been an issue lately, and I legitimately don't know where people are buying their clothes...

In regards to the plaza exemptions, they are still zoned for medium/high density mixed use, but they are allowed to add additions to a certain point with exception from the TOC bylaw so they aren't forced to not expand. They will likely be redeveloped in short order following LRT completion. The Dundurn plaza especially will likely see a proposal before the end of the decade if LRT is actually started.

James St North of King St has maybe a single chain? Tokyo Smoke.

Just FYI, in addition to Tokyo Smoke, you’ll find the following chains on James North between Wilson - Barton:
•Dominos Pizza
•Loaded Pierogi
•Faema
•Pet Valu
•OKO Bagels
•The Ten Spot
•Philthy Philly’s

EDIT: Google Maps is also showing Country Style Donuts has moved to 77 James North, though I haven’t seen any signage?

Back