They're likely keeping prices low for the first couple months to get people in the door. Once they have a steady clientele and reputation, they'll increase the prices. It's a classic restaurant move. Those prices aren't going to pay the bills.

Wow.. I could just stare at it
IMG_1262.jpeg

That whole stretch is tied very nicely together - a pity the parking lot behind it can't be redeveloped due to medical arts owning it.

I like how there is up-lighting in the awning

those black pieces on the first floor pillars - are they bi-directional lighting that shines up and down? It's hard to see what they are from that distance esp. since they're not turned on..

That whole stretch is tied very nicely together - a pity the parking lot behind it can't be redeveloped due to medical arts owning it.

I like how there is up-lighting in the awning

those black pieces on the first floor pillars - are they bi-directional lighting that shines up and down? It's hard to see what they are from that distance esp. since they're not turned on..
we don't know who owns it actually

So I went to eat at ciao bella last night during supercrawl - it was an hour waiting list, just to warn anyone who wants to go there. I was actually more excited to eat here than I was to go to supercrawl haha..

But wow, for the price, probably one of THE most upscale places I've eaten in in the core, ever. I was definitely getting hamilton in its prime 1940s 1950s vibes, where you could tell people dressed up specifically to go there. Like this was like something out of a tv show - the girls were dressed to the nine (and cream of the crop I might add, they LOOKED like they had money) and the food AND service were absolutely amazing - even the manager went out of his way to go to each person and ask if everything was good - everyone waited hand on foot and they were very much adequately staffed. King william vibes for sure, but somehow even more upscale than that - it was like being in a different world - I felt like I was in toronto or new york, which, frankly, is miraculous for hamilton.

The sound, bounces around a lot in there as one would expect from a place with such high ceilings but you can still hear conversations fine - the place is sorta bisected in two with ripple glass that reflects your side so you can't see into the other side which gives some nice privacy - I love the feeling of the trees inside, and that bar really takes up a major focus. All in all I'd have to say THE classiest italian restaurant in the core - with VERY friendly wait staff.

10 out of 10, and from me, you know it's rare for me to not criticize a place at ALL - I honestly had nothing bad to say.

I ordered the squid ink fruitti de mari which was excellent - the squid ink makes the noodles black but I didn't really notice a huge difference in taste, more a umami taste, add in the foccacia dipping bread a cocktail drink and tip and it came to about 75 dollars, which, considering the entire getup is within acceptable limit for what I was expecting. And the portions were sizeable. Highly recommend :)

Last edited:
Augusta went through an amazing transformation the last two years. Around 2022, that place was completely dead. Covid lockdowns ruined it, killed a bunch of bars. The covid related rules destroyed live music, people's livelihoods etc. Now with covid related lockdowns in the rearview mirror, and Core Urban introducing three good sized developments it's so busy on the weekends. Even mid week it can be bumping. glad to see it.

I hope the momentum continues and someone purchases a few of the surrounding lots. Could become an excellent area with intensification making a lot of sense (GO Transit right there), and existing high rises destroying any nimby arguments.

I echo Chronamut's review on Ciao Bella, I went for lunch last Friday and it was excellent and not to pricey. Still need to check out the dinner menu.

As someone who frequents Pheasant Plucker fairly often, I appreciate the variety of establishments on Augusta St/James St South. Excited for Coffee Run Co. to open (which I believe is very soon). Also highly recommend Secco on James St South - great food, service & wine selection.

I echo Chronamut's review on Ciao Bella, I went for lunch last Friday and it was excellent and not to pricey. Still need to check out the dinner menu.

As someone who frequents Pheasant Plucker fairly often, I appreciate the variety of establishments on Augusta St/James St South. Excited for Coffee Run Co. to open (which I believe is very soon). Also highly recommend Secco on James St South - great food, service & wine selection.
I think this region being near "the plateau" probably helps too - as well as being right off james st S - my only complaint is it very much feels like an island - it's great what's there, I just wish that like king william there was a longer stretch of it. Heck I wish even king william was a longer stretch - I love big loong stretches of restaurants and patios like hess. Well not that hess is hugely long but you get the picture - and side streets branching off it with more little tucked away places.

Glad you had a great experience too :)

Last edited:
For sure man - augusta stretch is really happening :) - I'd love to see the rest of downtown be like that - wish it stretched further instead of just ending at the church.
Sounds like a great restaurant!

Next time on Augusta during a nice day check out the Plank rooftop bar. Take the elevator at the back of the Laundry Rooms mini lobby. That's another "this doesn't feel like Hamilton experience" but not pretentious at all.

The problem with this building is theres only one new build of its kind. Hamilton needs more of this!

The problem with this building is theres only one new build of its kind. Hamilton needs more of this!
Now now, you can't rush genius. I'd hate for these to feel like carbon copies - I like how each is uniquely hand-crafted - I mean.. there's like NO competition for that from any other builder.. like.. at all.

Oh man I looked at this area on google maps before the buildings were built, and aside from missing those nice big trees yeah it felt like the aftermath of a warzone.. the area feels so "repaired" now.

Last edited:

Back