This was examined during the planning process for RoCPIII, however the southern end of the station is apparently quite a distance from the northern edge of the development parcel. Therefore this potenial connection option was not advanced.

worst excuse. they could just do it whereever...the spot inbetween college park and Aura looks like a good place for a couple of escalators and a fancy little entrance if its soo far. they wouldn't want spadina station to get jealous.

^I think you're missing the point - the station is under the college park apartments

Well, it's under Yonge Street, specifically a rapidly-declining-elevation-to-the-south Yonge Street, which would mean no space above the station for a mezzanine.

If 65 stories was rejected because the residents don't like height, what makes you think 70 stories will go through? 59 is my guess.

Well, it's under Yonge Street, specifically a rapidly-declining-elevation-to-the-south Yonge Street, which would mean no space above the station for a mezzanine

thought the subway only ran under Yonge south of Queen

Nope, north of College (between Alexander and Wood Streets), the subway curves to the east and out from Yonge.

Could skip the mezzanine as Queen (south-main entrance) and Dundas do, even put in a below-track tunnel, also like those two stations.

Where does the S end of College station stand relative to the south end of Eaton's College? That may say something about the viability (or not) of a S entrance...

If 65 stories was rejected because the residents don't like height, what makes you think 70 stories will go through? 59 is my guess.

Actually, Canderel is looking for 75 floors, and it was the planning department that recommended rejection of that, not nearby residents. I don't know what the locals think of the proposal - that hasn't been published to the best of my knowledge. In regard to why 70? Just a guess. Canderel still wants 75, the OMB will want to show a little power by cutting the height down somewhat, but they normally side with the developers, so I don't think they'll ask for too much of a reduction. Plus, I get the feeling that the city is now more interested in reducing the size of the floorplate than it is in cutting the total height - I think they'd go for a longer shadow than a thicker one, as the tip of a shadow moves much more quickly (so put more density into the tip).

We could pull a New Yawk and skip the mezzanine though?

Mehbe. Adma's question is relevant in that regard too - depending on where along Yonge the station ends, they'll need X amount of sidewalk space to accommodate a new exit, plus there will likely be other underground services to move (sewers, etc.). Underground services could also complicate access to the basement level of College Park (and/or whatever is on the east side) if it made more sense to build a south exit into abutting buildings.

Could skip the mezzanine as Queen (south-main entrance) and Dundas do, even put in a below-track tunnel, also like those two stations.

And then it gets reeeeeeeeeeally expensive! (Which, actually is what I'd like to see them do - spend some money, and do it up right. Maybe the city could have gotten Section 37 improvements to the subway station out of Canderel too, although it seems too late for that now...)

Updates:

• Proposed tower shifted 5m west and 3m south
  • SE corner will be a 13m stepback for the tower
  • NE corner will be 5m back from Yonge
  • Condo Lobby entrance proposed on Haytar Street walkway
  • South end of building may include lofts
  • Mezzaine level PATH connection
  • City is requesting tower to be more highly articulated
  • Local BIA supports height, but wants improved architecture
  • Height seems to not be a major issue for residents, however west edge of podium remains and issue

This sounds very expensive... I know that the city and developer looked at possible connections at the south end of College Station, but it was determined to be unfeasable do to the location of the station and infrastructure limitations.

Updates:

• Local BIA supports height, but wants improved architecture
  • Height seems to not be a major issue for residents, however west edge of podium remains and issue

Thanks. I think it is nice change that good architecture and setbacks are the priorities for neighbours, not height.

I wonder what the issue with the west edge of the podium is?

And yes, its nice that architecture is a priority for both the city and the community.

Thanks. I think it is nice change that good architecture and setbacks are the priorities for neighbours, not height.

Hallelujah to that

I wonder what the issue with the west edge of the podium is?

Alklay,

There are a variety of issues to do with lighting, animation (retail vs office vs residential use), window types and materials, spacing/distance from neighbouring structures, setbacks and walkways.

Back