Uh, OK.

I'd be okay if the 75 floor height were maintained with smaller floorplates (and I would think this would be a reasonable compromise on the city's end), but I think it is a bit too high for the area. With the floor plates they are proposing, it will just be way too bulky considering the immediate surroundings.

Uh, OK.

I'd be okay if the 75 floor height were maintained with smaller floorplates (and I would think this would be a reasonable compromise on the city's end), but I think it is a bit too high for the area. With the floor plates they are proposing, it will just be way too bulky considering the immediate surroundings.

gotta start somewhere man, best it be at a scale that the area will be adapting in the near future...i.e. BIG. can't think of a better place to put that thing than on yonge in the core...nobody notices anyway, an extra ten floors will be lose nothing and gain everything.

I'm less concerned about height. What really matters is how well it works at street level.

As for height, my bet is some compromise: it's be 63 floors. May 63 and-a-half.

70 even.

I'm not sure why 5-10 floors, give or take, makes much of a difference to the city considering the scale of this project already. Sometimes I wonder if the city just automatically demands a height reduction on some tall projects to 'appear' civically conscienscious rather than for any real practical or aesthetic reason. One would think relocating the tower further west on the site so it's not abutting yonge, and then perhaps reducing the floorplates on the upper floors would satisfy their concerns of overwhelming Yonge street.

I'm not sure why 5-10 floors, give or take, makes much of a difference to the city considering the scale of this project already. Sometimes I wonder if the city just automatically demands a height reduction on some tall projects to 'appear' civically conscienscious rather than for any real practical or aesthetic reason. One would think relocating the tower further west on the site so it's not abutting yonge, and then perhaps reducing the floorplates on the upper floors would satisfy their concerns of overwhelming Yonge street.

Bogs, I think you're right on the money here.

Assuming the newspaper columnists in this town are right in regard to we Torontonians being height-hating NIMBYs*, I think the planning department likely feels that they do need to be seen as somewhat conservative in that regard - if only to keep the City Councillors onside during debates so that the planning department's overall goals for a project are met as negotiations for these projects play out.

*some people anyway - enough of them to keep a councillor on their toes

I'm telling you all it's gonna be 63 - or 63 and a bit.

You'll see!

What I'd like to see are extra exits from the College subway stop at the south ends of the platform into this new development. Or into any ol' development at all towards Gerrard.
If you're in the southern end of the trains when they stop at the station, you have to walk half a dowdy city block underground to get to the exit stairs or escalator. Ugh. This could use some improvement.

If you're in the southern end of the trains when they stop at the station, you have to walk half a dowdy city block underground to get to the exit stairs or escalator. Ugh. This could use some improvement.

As a former Ryerson student, I've always hated the fact that there wasn't a secondary entrance on the south side of College.

And the Dundas Station is positioned exactly the opposite to College, so an entrance could go in at Gould Street. If Sam's is ever redeveloped (by Ryerson?) I'd love to see a new entrance here. Dundas Station was always such a pain in the butt too.

And the Dundas Station is positioned exactly the opposite to College, so an entrance could go in at Gould Street. If Sam's is ever redeveloped (by Ryerson?) I'd love to see a new entrance here. Dundas Station was always such a pain in the butt too.

A new entrance by Sam's was actually brought up in the Ryerson master plan roundtable. I highly doubt it would happen in my lifetime though.

I apologize for swaying the topic but does anybody know when the Residences of College Park North Building (763 Bay Street) will be registered with the city?

This was examined during the planning process for RoCPIII, however the southern end of the station is apparently quite a distance from the northern edge of the development parcel. Therefore this potenial connection option was not advanced.

Back