any idea why corner space in the podium is left without cladding ? are they going to install billboard ?

QIc2d.jpg

thats why

That corner of the podium was intentionally indented to give pedestrians more sidewalk space to move around right at the street corner. That little bit of extra space at what will be a very busy retail crossroads will be very useful.

It'll be quite an imposing presence on that intersection when complete. It's very bold in the way it sits on that corner. I'm excited for when it starts to climb.
s

And once again, it's an indication this building was designed by engineers, not architects.

I thought Aura was designed by a quite large group of both architects and engineers. The put this group together after the first proposal, which included 2 shorter towers, was rejected.

I think the City would have insisted ion the additional sidewalk space -
An engineer would probably have made the corner cut go all the way up to eliminate the cantilever on the floors above.
The developer would have insisted on retaining the most floorspace (maybe just a cut on the at-grade level?)
The architect would have come down the middle with what you see being built (ameliorating the look of 2 levels overhanging the corner with a second floor cut-out).

didn't realize how much glass is on this thing already!!!
the glass didn't look as good in that corner pic from yonge/gerard that was on the homepage

It looks super-eighties in person. Whenever I see this building in person, I think it looks like some businessman in a double-breasted, overly large suit, barging into the corner of Yonge and Gerrard shoulder pads-first.

AURA on Christmas Day. Thanks to Atlantis for all his AURA photos. This is just my version.

AURA-25-12-2011-1.jpg

AURA-25-12-2011-2.jpg

AURA-25-12-2011-3.jpg

AURA-25-12-2011-4.jpg

AURA-25-12-2011-5.jpg

AURA-25-12-2011-6.jpg

Last edited:

Back