Anyone notice there's quite a bit of empty stores for lease between Bloor and Dundas on Yonge ... Yonge always seems to go through cycles but it seems like there's quite a bit of available space now. Probably 20 or so stores (its a big stretch I know). But seems worse then a couple years ago.

I just find it interesting as one would think with all the condos already built (albeit closer to bloor) that wouldn't be the case.

Some of the empty shops are where condos are going up/being proposed and a few are changing hands.

Some of the empty shops are where condos are going up/being proposed and a few are changing hands.

Ah good point;

For example around Yonge and Eglinton there is a plaza just south of Broadway / prime location, where a couple of restaurants (Chimichanga) when bankrupt and have been empty for almost a year now ... well that plaza has a proposed development and the space it self is in need of an extensive renovation. So you'd have to be a fairly uniformed retailer to put the money down to pay for that (as most landlords don't).

Some shots of the smallest units in the PATH level of Aura. Hopefully we will see these filling up with interesting niche retailers similar to what has happened at the containers on the southeast corner of Dundas and Bathurst. Pictures taken 7 December 2012.

photo%20%284%29-X2.jpg

photo%20%283%29-X2.jpg

That space is unusable unless they get rid of one of the glass walls, then you could run a ticket booth out of it or something...

Still ridiculous.

That space is unusable unless they get rid of one of the glass walls, then you could run a ticket booth out of it or something...

Still ridiculous.

Only good for selling smokes, ttc tickets, and lottery tickets. All stuff behind the counter.

I think there is the potential for someone with a solid business plan, and their first time out to make a go of it.

Those small units, and nonstandard ownership provide a real opportunity to up and coming entrepreneurs.

8259973302_9b516dcb72_b.jpg

As you can see from Caltrane's last photo, the North/West corner on the 47th floor is still square. The next level should be curved.

im still scared of the glass thats going to shape the building at top.

you have every reason to be frightened, because it is not a pure black, rather it is a weird kind of milky green-black for reasons that are known only to the geniuses at graziani and corazza 'architects' (sic)

Anyone notice there's quite a bit of empty stores for lease between Bloor and Dundas on Yonge ... Yonge always seems to go through cycles but it seems like there's quite a bit of available space now. Probably 20 or so stores (its a big stretch I know). But seems worse then a couple years ago.

I just find it interesting as one would think with all the condos already built (albeit closer to bloor) that wouldn't be the case.

I noticed it too.
Actually what surprised me is how could so many of those tacky stores offering sad products managed to survive on Yonge St in the first place. T-shirt stores? Money exchanges? Souvenir shops? They look horrible, not to mention all those low quality but overpriced fake Japanese restaurants.
We should have more good quality retail on Yonge st.

I noticed it too.
Actually what surprised me is how could so many of those tacky stores offering sad products managed to survive on Yonge St in the first place. T-shirt stores? Money exchanges? Souvenir shops? They look horrible, not to mention all those low quality but overpriced fake Japanese restaurants.
We should have more good quality retail on Yonge st.

The main reason why I'm all for new developments and new condos on Yonge Street. There's nothing to "protect" on Yonge Street other than rundown buildings, low-budget stores, and money exchanges. It's the major north and south street in Toronto. It's almost embarrassing that it's 2012 and Yonge Street almost looks like the most rundown area in the downtown core.

Agreed with the above two posts. I invite friends from France & Italy here every year and they are totally unimpressed by the yonge strip between gerrard and bloor, but fall in love with the city as a whole.

Back