^i was thinking that huge parking lot in the right side of picture can be used to build 250m+ twins and a park. Aura will get some company.

We already messed things up by getting out bid by a developer on that lot southwest of Yonge/Wellesley. That should have been a park/public square, not a condo in a park. This lot and decking the rail tracks offer the last chance Toronto has for a medium sized parks downtown. We'll desperately need them as downtown adds another 100,000+ people over the coming years. Putting a building on that lot is the last thing we should do.

Let these 2 golden opportunities pass through our fingers and we'll never get another chance. Never.

Last edited:
Wow, so they finally put the patio out there, and they separate it with velvet ropes? Looks so stupid! Everything about this development is just idiotic.

Wow, so they finally put the patio out there, and they separate it with velvet ropes? Looks so stupid! Everything about this development is just idiotic.

I saw that yesterday. That stretch of sidewalk is also a wind tunnel. Unless they solve that problem I don't see it lasting.

View attachment 26868

Strange clumps of little patios have appeared outside Reds. This little section on Yonge, and a larger similar strip on Gerrard.

To me, it looks awkward, and not very inviting. Too far from the restaurant, and too small. This stretch of wide sidewalks could have been amazing, but instead we get a couple banks and this....

So the waitresses have to cross a crush of people to serve their customers in the patio area? Yep, that does seem pretty stupid. Won't that disrupt the flow of pedestrians on Yonge Street, which is already over-crowded? Who was the genius who thought of that? I bet it won't last long.

Sure the execution is poor (it's Aura after all), but separated patios have been working well for decades in Europe and Asia. Why would the concept not translate here?

In Barcelona on Las Ramblas, waiters have to cross the street traffic to serve customers. The tables are in the island between the lanes. No, a waiter or waitress crossing the sidewalk won't disrupt the flow of pedestrians any more than someone stopping to look at a window display will.

I've never liked Aura from this angle, since you can't even tell there is a setback on the lower half. I wish they hadn't made it so flush with the upper portion, and also put the eastern setback at a lower height. No reason to have it so high on the east side. the west side would have made more sense so the terrace could look over ROCP 1 and 2.

On a side note, not sure why the Aura webcam has been down for the past week.

I've never liked Aura from this angle, since you can't even tell there is a setback on the lower half. I wish they hadn't made it so flush with the upper portion, and also put the eastern setback at a lower height. No reason to have it so high on the east side. the west side would have made more sense so the terrace could look over ROCP 1 and 2.

On a side note, not sure why the Aura webcam has been down for the past week.

Problem is that the west side of the tower is likely zoned residential - would not be viable for after hours or amplified music.

It aint stupid anywhere in Europe where they exist everywhere....Cheers

There's no winning with some forum members, AG. If it isn't their daily rants about water features, or grey buildings, or lack of animated squares, or how we aren't like Europe, it's some other miserable comment.

THEN, when we do get an awesome new park or water feature or anything remotely European, it's not good enough...and we need to focus on pedestrian flow rather than being social human beings!!

Oy vey!!

See how it's a losing battle? Momma always said that you can't make an unhappy person happy.

I also took a few shots of the Patio

IMG_20140523_051400.jpg

They even added plants to make it more intimate. How horrendous. This definitely won't last long!

Note to drama queens: maybe wait until they complete their set-up before overreacting. Oh nm, you won't.

Back