Webcam is pointing down for a nice view of the podium.

Also a great view of the Ryerson SLC. I miss the downward angle we all grew familiar with during the early stages of construction:

Screen shot 2014-06-24 at 2.52.30 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-06-24 at 2.52.30 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-06-24 at 2.52.30 PM.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,580
I find myself liking the thin profile view over the wider 'side' view. All in all, it's looks great.

Anyone want an entire food court to themselves, just visit the food court in Aura's basement. Friday afternoon at 1:00 pm i had lunch there, it was just me and three other people. Two older gentlemen were just chatting and drinking coffee and a lady eating her lunch she brought from home.

Some of the tables were really dirty. I sat there about 30 mins eating and reading the paper and not once did someone come by to clean up the mess left on the tables.

Last edited:
I guess that is the most quite and peaceful place in the entire downtown. LOl! :p

Fantastic view! aura looks extremely out place but in a good way. It really does mark the beginning of a new era on the skyline, soon to be accompanied by many more giants.

As for the Aura food court , it still blows my mind how they just jammed that thing in the basement. Bedbath/Marshall's/a big-box retailer-department store should have been put in the basement. I find auras podium a bit of a waste at ground level. Also, I see the natural lighting and big windows neglected by the retailers who occupy the 2nd and third level, many of the windows get blocked by shelves stacked with excess inventory in cardboard boxes. Food court could have been up there where the lighting could liven the atmosphere.

Anyone want an entire food court to themselves, just visit the food court in Aura's basement. Friday afternoon at 1:00 pm i had lunch there, it was just me and three other people. Two older gentlemen were just chatting and drinking coffee and a lady eating her lunch she brought from home.

Some of the tables were really dirty. I sat there about 30 mins eating and reading the paper and not once did someone come by to clean up the mess left on the tables.

It's also a good place to use a washroom, if you like a nice, clean, private place to do your business.

Fantastic view! aura looks extremely out place but in a good way. It really does mark the beginning of a new era on the skyline, soon to be accompanied by many more giants.

Yes. Aura's significance lies in the fact that it is much taller than anything nearby and is completely out-of-context. It sets a great precedences for other skyscrapers to follow.
We need more of such buildings with heights completely out of most people's comfort zone. Downtown between Spadina to Jarvis should have no limit.

Yes. Aura's significance lies in the fact that it is much taller than anything nearby and is completely out-of-context. It sets a great precedences for other skyscrapers to follow.
We need more of such buildings with heights completely out of most people's comfort zone. Downtown between Spadina to Jarvis should have no limit.

I'm not convinced the city's economics will support a litany of uber-talls in the downtown anytime soon because municipal and provincial governments, over the last decade especially, haven't adequately invested in Toronto's core infrastructure and green space (water and sewer utilities, sidewalks and landscaping, and the like...).
A balanced distribution of green space to meet the volumes of people that should be arriving to the downtown is something Toronto is not achieving, in my opinion. With the residential density being produced in the core, currently, let's see what the burden of cost is to service and satisfy this coming population. Toronto, and by in large the Province of Ontario, could be in for a rough realisation.

But for now, I'm enjoying these Aura pictures.

^ I am afraid that the city would just need to be forced to make the necessary upgrades whenever necessary, even if it comes as a result of emerging problems. After living in Toronto for years, do you really expect the city to build the infrastructure in preparation for large population inflow into downtown? Take the Gardiner for example, it takes some giant falling concrete blocks for the city to even take it seriously. It applies to everything. THis is how our city is run.

speaking of "burden of cost to service", remember dense areas are always way more efficient and cost effective than the sprawly suburbs where two stories houses with 3-4 people are 10 meters from each other. Sparse suburbs are the worst possible way for human beings to live from a "burden of cost" perspective.

I'm not convinced the city's economics will support a litany of uber-talls in the downtown anytime soon because municipal and provincial governments, over the last decade especially, haven't adequately invested in Toronto's core infrastructure and green space (water and sewer utilities, sidewalks and landscaping, and the like...).
A balanced distribution of green space to meet the volumes of people that should be arriving to the downtown is something Toronto is not achieving, in my opinion. With the residential density being produced in the core, currently, let's see what the burden of cost is to service and satisfy this coming population. Toronto, and by in large the Province of Ontario, could be in for a rough realisation.

But for now, I'm enjoying these Aura pictures.

Huh? Recently Toronto has added (and is adding) lots of green space all over downtown: Canoe Landing Park, Sherbourne Common, June Callwood Park, Mouth of the Creek Park, Corktown Commons, Regent Park's Central Park, Canada Square, New City Hall's accessible green roof, the western extension of David Crombie Park, the new park at 11 Wellesley, and the park that will replace the York Street off-ramp.

I agree that much of the city could use better landscaping, but where are you hearing that we're suffering from a lack of core infrastructure like water and sewer utilities?

Last edited:

Back