Yes, there has been a lot of green space built over the boom period - in the area I would also add the park next to the Four Seasons - and of course there could always be more, but it seems to me that given the costs of acquisition, the precedent of the Wellesley street tower seems a good model: allow for density on a smaller floor plate and receive public space in return. Regarding Aura, I think the attached park at College Park (name escapes me) got some funding, which I would love to see used ASAP. It is a space with great potential. Not to mention that Queens Park is only a stroll away. While I have heard of some power issues in terms of infrastructure, the new substation by Roundhouse Park should alleviate any problems, and others can easily be built. There is no big problem here.

In any event, projects on the scale of Aura are not just an idea being floated on UrbanToronto: 1Bloor is rising, and many similarly-scaled towers are planned for Yonge and Yorkville (though not many 75 Storeys+ I do admit). Aura's built form is certainly striking now, but with a bevy of 50-60 storey towers being built and planned for Yonge, it will only stick out this way for a few years and will instead be stitched into the urban fabric. It isn't even up for debate that the whole Yonge corridor will be a thicket of tall buildings - many are being built, many are already sold, and more are planned (at least 20 right now I believe, though someone like innsert could likely answer better). It has been noted that the average height of tall buildings during the last 10 years has basically gone from 30 storeys to 50, with 60 now being rather run of the mill, so it isn't even a debate whether it should happen, it is a reality. This will only continue, not because the Gardiner is crumbling but because lots of people are building and have been building; I for one won't complain that we are being height deprived. For the foreseeable future, there will be a height limit downtown; however, it won't be city planning that chops all the buildings down as much as economics. When the vacant lots in the area are developed (most are already under planning) and 50 storey towers are everywhere, I would think that more Aura-sized proposals will emerge. However, public realm does need to be a focus, and for me the reimagining of Yonge street is much more vital than plunking another park down somewhere.

Last edited:
5 July 2014: You could live at Fashion House ...
CqwlAwo.jpg

...with red curtains and cracked windows?...

But then you don't get those value-engineered curves, eh?
xhBpyGV.jpg

curve is the only good thing about this building.
Urbandreamer what kind of lens do you have?

nice pic.
are they done putting up the frame or more frame will go up?

I'm sometimes impressed at how great the upper portion of the tower appears depending on how light reflects on it during sunrise or sunset.

Last edited:
I agree, your photos with the sunset reflecting on Aura make the building look quite good.

The sunlight reflection definitely stood out in those photos. It was the first thing I noticed...how remarkable it looks under those conditions.

Back