You know you're an architecture geek when you take a break from a rave to take a picture of a new skyscraper.

Aura makes a good background for a rave! (Ryerson Kerr Hall Quad)
unnamed.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 946
Can't wait until more horrific buildings attempt to redeem themselves (and apparently succeed) with cool lighting effects! It's just too easy.

Oh yea, Aura is SO unusual. And those that despise it are SO old-fashioned.

It's a 75-story design-build shed--with icicle lights on top. Lets put a big maraschino cherry up there while we're at it.

Anyway, yeah--Really World Class, dude. London, New York, Guangzhou: Look Out. G+C have arrived! "LOL".

Last edited:
a bit off topic but wasn't the MET's lighting feature broken for while? seeing the recent pics of Aura at night, I noticed its beacon lit up. It's really really awesome seeing all the lighting features come on at once with Trump, Aura, and others. Perhaps the city's requesting these things lit up in time for Nuit Blanche? lol

The lighting from the west side of Aura. (filmed from the CNE area)
[video=youtube_share;Ye5Wp0n_yy4]http://youtu.be/Ye5Wp0n_yy4[/video]

Alright, this q. might have been raised--but why won't these LED strips drive residents in the top floors mad at night? How do they prevent them from illuminating the units?

Alright, this q. might have been raised--but why won't these LED strips drive residents in the top floors mad at night? How do they prevent them from illuminating the units?

Because they point outwards and are flush with the building. You can't see them from inside. I thought that was self evident.

The only time their brightness would come into play is on a night with a very low cloud deck or fog. (All of November and March to May LOL) Then the light would reflect bright light into the higher suites. And then they would only be driven "Mad" if the lights flashed or had a random brightness and colour pattern.... It would be like staying at a cheap motel with a blinking neon sign out your window.

I don't know how many residents of the old Sutton Place went mad on foggy nights but that building had a very bright red sign that would light up in fog and low clouds, which would then light up the whole top of the tower.

Last edited:

Im scared that the residents will force Canderel to shut those lights.

Aren't LED light also fairly directional too? So if they are directing the light out wards, on a cleat night the residents wouldn't be exposed to much light pollution from them.

Because they point outwards and are flush with the building. You can't see them from inside. I thought that was self evident.

In a normal building, on a clear day, I still think you'd see a little bit of light pollution, not enough to be bothersome though, on a foggy day is a different story. I think it helps that the building is curved concave, so at any given point the lights immediately next to you will be pointed away at more extreme angles.

I really hope The Star or something puts out an article in the next few months on Aura's lighting. I'm sure it has caught the attention of many passerbyers throughout the city. it's significant.

Do people actually like this or are they so desparate for lighting that they will accept anything? It's the definition of ostentatious.

Do people actually like this or are they so desparate for lighting that they will accept anything? It's the definition of ostentatious.

Yes. People like this. Sounds like you are putting down others that differ in opinion with you.
Yes! I like it, and no, I'm not desperate for lighting. And no, I will not accept anything. Is that ok with you?

Back