I can imagine they could also displace Marshall's and whatever that gym is called now in the future if they want to snap it up as well (and perhaps even the Shops @ Aura completely?)

AoD

While I don't see why not, in theory; I don't believe they wanted that space; and in any event, I'm under the impression the Marshall's does good trade.

I assumed (perhaps wrongly) they would want part of the basement for better access to the parking level.

At 132,000ft2 this is in line with comparable stores in their portfolio.

Queen's is 215,000ft2; the SF development is going to be 275,000GLA, but might have some non-IKEA in it.

This is their SF store: (proposed)

1616681253869.png

from: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/this-is-...uilding-in-downtown-san-francisco-pub89004e30

Last edited:
While I don't see why not, in theory; I don't believe they wanted that space; and in any event, I'm under the impression the Marshall's does good trade.

I assumed (perhaps wrongly) they would want part of the basement for better access to the parking level.

At 132,000ft2 this is in line with comparable stores in their portfolio, if not a bit bigger.

Queen's is 215,000ft2; the SF development is going to be 275,000GLA, but might have some non-IKEA in it.

View attachment 307952
from: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/this-is-...uilding-in-downtown-san-francisco-pub89004e30

Ikea can always use more space (especially one in DT). One thing I do hope is that they use the floorspace along the windows better than previous tenants.

I wonder if they will put a cafeteria in. I doubt it but...

AoD

At 132,000ft2 this is in line with comparable stores in their portfolio.

View attachment 307952
IKEA is not taking 132,000 sq ft, they are only taking 66,175 sq ft. The other half of the square footage will be part of the Ingka Centre, but we don't know what that will entail yet.

Even though they don't have the entire basement condo dungeon, they are the only player I could think of that would be more than okay with quietly assembling that space in the years to come.

Even though they don't have the entire basement condo dungeon, they are the only player I could think of that would be more than okay with quietly assembling that space in the years to come.

I wonder if their holding company buying up the property for their locations is the norm...or the exception? Don't have any information on it.

AoD

Ikea can always use more space (especially one in DT). One thing I do hope is that they use the floorspace along the windows better than previous tenants.

I wonder if they will put a cafeteria in. I doubt it but...

AoD
The linked article mentions a new food concept, although it could be just a stall selling Ikea food products (like they already have in their other stores) instead of a full cafeteria. Wouldn't it be ironic if they convert the former Scaddabush into a cafeteria? From giant meatballs to Swedish meatballs.

The linked article mentions a new food concept, although it could be just a stall selling Ikea food products (like they already have in their other stores) instead of a full cafeteria. Wouldn't it be ironic if they convert the former Scaddabush into a cafeteria? From giant meatballs to Swedish meatballs.
The co-working space as well as some sort of cafeteria would work really well given the proximity of Ryerson University.

IKEA would do wonders in decorating the service corridor-like basement into something much more inviting.

IKEA would do wonders in decorating the service corridor-like basement into something much more inviting.
Ideally they should take over the basement. Those tiny stalls (or several combined) would be perfect for their whole-room / whole-apartment displays. However, I understand these units are owned by dozens of individuals, so it would be difficult to negotiate a deal that satisfies everyone.

Ideally they should take over the basement. Those tiny stalls (or several combined) would be perfect for their whole-room / whole-apartment displays. However, I understand these units are owned by dozens of individuals, so it would be difficult to negotiate a deal that satisfies everyone.

Aren't a good chunk of those units still vacant.

Most are surely under-performing.

I would think a good-value offer could be made that most would take.

That's what should happen anyway.

Aren't a good chunk of those units still vacant.

Most are surely under-performing.

I would think a good-value offer could be made that most would take.

That's what should happen anyway.
Yes, the owners may be desperate enough to do a deal. But the announcement states they bought the ground (first) and second floor of the podium, not the basement.

Back