Any news on WHEN it is opening? I really need something from IKEA and live so close to the new location.

The linked article mentions a new food concept, although it could be just a stall selling Ikea food products (like they already have in their other stores) instead of a full cafeteria. Wouldn't it be ironic if they convert the former Scaddabush into a cafeteria? From giant meatballs to Swedish meatballs.

Either way, since I work a 10 minute walk from Aura, I welcome the cheap lunch option that Ikea will bring to the area!

Yes, the owners may be desperate enough to do a deal. But the announcement states they bought the ground (first) and second floor of the podium, not the basement.
Actually, Ingka Centres bought 132,000 sq ft of retail, twice the eventual size of the IKEA, so they must have ownership of the Marshalls space now too. I've tried to put everything together in this front page story, with lots and lots of numbers and some history.

Actually, Ingka Centres bought 132,000 sq ft of retail, twice the eventual size of the IKEA, so they must have ownership of the Marshalls space now too. I've tried to put everything together in this front page story, with lots and lots of numbers and some history.

I don't believe they have Marshall's. (I could stand to be corrected)

The floor area of the BBB is around 50,000; the basement is around 35,000. I'm not sure what the mainfloor space is..........

The parking ramp eats into the main floor and level 1 below as does loading.

and before we saw the basement!
The basement seemed like an idea that could work in theory.

The execution was horrendous though.

I like the concept of converting the retail condo stalls to Ikea style show-rooms, though they might prefer that they be located somewhere with more natural light. The basement could be well suited to their market-hall level. If not, maybe Ikea might be content to use it for their storage and customer pick-up needs, freeing up other areas of the floorplate.

Ikea will definitely have to work on circulation - the existing arrangement is inadequate to say the last. As to basement showrooms - it'd be perfect for them. The last thing Ikea showrooms tend to have is access to large amounts of natural light.

AoD

The basement seemed like an idea that could work in theory.

The execution was horrendous though.

I like the concept of converting the retail condo stalls to Ikea style show-rooms, though they might prefer that they be located somewhere with more natural light. The basement could be well suited to their market-hall level. If not, maybe Ikea might be content to use it for their storage and customer pick-up needs, freeing up other areas of the floorplate.

The only issue I can foresee with on-site pickup is the availability of items on-site (storage takes up ALOT of space) and access to a loading dock. This was one of the issues with the Roundhouse Park Leons. They did not have capacity to store items on site.

I can see this particular IKEA being more of a showroom than being able to purchase large items like tables, desks and beds direct from the store (cash and carry).

The only issue I can foresee with on-site pickup is the availability of items on-site (storage takes up ALOT of space) and access to a loading dock. This was one of the issues with the Roundhouse Park Leons. They did not have capacity to store items on site.

I can see this particular IKEA being more of a showroom than being able to purchase large items like tables, desks and beds direct from the store (cash and carry).

They already said that that large furniture will be by shipping only at this location. Makes sense - this isn't a warehouse.

AoD

I’m not as well versed as some of the other guys here on the topics but Im wondering why this building gets the hate it does. Is it the materials, architectural design, colour?
Thanks for your replies

I’m not as well versed as some of the other guys here on the topics but Im wondering why this building gets the hate it does. Is it the materials, architectural design, colour?
Thanks for your replies

Yes, yes, and yes. Also the poorly executed retail, especially the money-grab basement condo retail units. This also doesn't help: https://twitter.com/auraelectrician?lang=en

Back