in the news clip, they say there 'the number of towers going up dwntown over 200 meters has more than doubled from 7 to 17.' is this true?

lovarkitec

While I’m pleased that an ugly parking is being replaced, I was always opposed to the height and scale of this project, especially compared to the height of neighboring buildings.

That being said, I’m pleased by the work of the review panel, most notably moving the tower further away Yonge Street and a more detailed crown. I absolutely love the base and the architectural tribute to the unrealized design of Eaton’s College Park proposal.

I saw a good side by side photo view of the Eaton’s Proposal and the Aura Tower Design in some news article.

Any word on upgrades to the abutting park? It has great potential but the last time I checked is in desperate need of new paint, furniture and landscaping.

Louroz

That's an angle of the podium I haven't seen before. Just being picky I suppose, but that's not yonge -gerard from what I can tell. The perspective is looking south towards the Elephant & Castle with the Gerard intersection not in view. Personally I think i's the best version for the base despite the lack of stonework. The original podium seemed quite suburban to me.

That's Yonge in the foreground, the same render can be found on pg. 39 with a little more detail.

This render seems to suggest a reasonably wide space leading to the park between Aura & College Park.

Not sure I have ever posted this but here's an incomplete interpretation of the (old) elevation that I did up about a year ago.

Wow, very progressive for the 1950s. (Always a good job on the renderings Cassius - I'm just glad to see that building has come a long, loooong way.)

I actually kinda like that lol.

lol

Here's a scan of the larger rendering of the base they had in The Star this past weekend. Sorry for the bad quality, my scanner is getting pretty old.

This was already posted by Phunky as a higher quality jpg in post #579.

it's claiming to be the biggest condominium launch of 2008? lol they're pretty presumptuous

Not presumptuous at all - it is going to be 75 floors high after all - and when complete it will the single largest residential building in the whole country. That's right - by square footage, this will be the largest residential building in the country. I'm only repeating that because few people seem to read through these threads very carefully these days, or at least they don't retain information very long. Crab crab crab.

Got this in my in-box this morning...

Towering 75 storeys high above downtown Toronto... A monument of glass and stone that will alter the skyline... Undoubtedly a masterpiece in modern architecture... AURA At College Park is Canada's Largest Condo Tower

The City of Toronto has ...
<snip>
AURA will be the biggest condominium launch of 2008!

Sales Centre Opening Soon at 717 Bay Street 416.962.8688

This was already posted by Ed in post #599.

in the news clip, they say there 'the number of towers going up downtown over 200 meters has more than doubled from 7 to 17.' is this true?

Truer words were never spoken* (as opposed to that 343 metre crap that seems to be spreading like bad journalism. Oh, it is bad journalism.)

slightly crabby 42

*see Canuck's post, #550 (probably on page 37 of this thread, if you see 15 posts per page).

Eaton's Proposal

collegeprk.jpg

aura1.jpg

Compare the designs of the podiums.

3D, if you look a lot more closely, the updated design has a much more detailed crown or top, or whatever you want to call it compared to previous renderings. Again, I read about this design updgrade in news articles and that this came at the request of the design panel.

Louroz

Does the Aura podium match the height and top floor setback of the College Park podium? Thumbs up if it does - it's hard to tell because of the double height floors. I'd still prefer more vertical lines in the podium as opposed to horizontal though, to break up the streetscape and make it more interesting for pedestrians. Still this will be a great addition.

Good to know. One thing I like about European cities is how consistent the building massing is. Even new buildings match the scale of old buildings. In Ontario the streetscapes are a lot more messy and buildings don't really relate to each other, in Ottawa as well as Toronto. Ensuring that high rise podiums match goes a long way to making an attractive streetscape. The Met does it perfectly and Aura is looking promising. It should have been done on ROCP 1 and 2 (matching with the Maclean Hunter Building), and the Ritz/RBC towers.

Louroz: I've been on this project from it's birth... there's no apparent change to what you call the "crown".

If you want to be mayor, you have to back up your public statements. Methinks you've read some stuff and are guessing.

I fear you are married to a future in politics....

Don't appreciate the personal attack on my future

Louroz: I've been on this project from it's birth... there's no apparent change to what you call the "crown".

If you want to be mayor, you have to back up your public statements. Methinks you've read some stuff and are guessing.

I fear you are married to a future in politics....

Well I can appreciate you feel like you are the all knowing expert on the project being given the privilege of being on this project from it's birth.

What I do not appreciate is a personal attack on me. I don't know what my future political ambitious in Misissauga has anything to do with your beloved tower, which I'm proud to have designed by Mississauga-based architects Graziani + Corazza. I was making a generally positive point about the design improvements to the tower with my own personal thoughts from what I previously read about the project.

I've gone back to that article and I do admit I misread what was written as I now understand it was referring only to design changes to the podium and not the crown.

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/276302

Though originally recruited to scrutinize Canderel's point tower proposal, the panel soon wanted changes to the podium at Yonge and Gerrard, too. A fourth floor and a new, higher structural element were added to create a subtle visual link with the old College Park building to the north. The tower, with more than 900 unites, had to retreat slightly west on the podium, in order to avoid wind tunnel effects on Yonge St.

There were other minor recommended touches that Canderel's architects, Graziani and Corazza, worked in. The result is meant to allude to the old and unrealized Eaton's vision from the early 20th century of College St. and Yonge as the central node of the city.

Louroz

look, I'm not attacking you... I'm teasing you... but you are just reinforcing the tease proposition with your wagons in a circle defensive posture. You have to pay attention or you'll only last one term.

"I'm proud to have designed by Mississauga-based architects Graziani + Corazza."

^^^ Please note.

Back