As many others have already expressed, this project, while far from a masterpiece, is not a disaster in my books. It's mediocre at worst. The problem is that it's such a large project that it justifiably draws a lot of attention and scrutiny. I also think it will look much better once the balcony glass goes up.

Seems to coming out decently. Certainly not a masterpiece but another addition to the urban scenery. Sure beats the parking lot that was there forever.

I agree. Patience chaps…

I see this building as a Mustang or Corvette. Not quite so refined as a Ferrari, but equally strong and muscular.

I’m looking forward to the full height view from Yonge-Dundas Square. It will be jaw dropping for the average person.

except a new Mustang or Corvette is expensive, state of the art, well designed, and uses very high quality materials.

also, who are these "average people"? and who cares about their "dropping jaws"?

anyway, going forward, Aura will be distinguished for one thing only: it will be the World's Biggest Design-Build Skyscraper

and Toronto will be distinguished for having allowed a 78 story building to go up, without an actual architect.

Screenshot2012-10-11at113001AM_zps16832372.png
Screenshot2012-10-11at113022AM_zpsb36a3881.png

anyway, going forward, Aura will be distinguished for one thing only: it will be the World's Biggest Design-Build Skyscraper

and Toronto will be distinguished for having allowed a 78 story building to go up, without an actual architect.

You will be distinguished as being part of the 1% of the population of Toronto that knows or cares.

To the lay-person, it looks nice. I work about a block south of Dundas square and its already looking mighty impressive from here.

Absolutely. Too much jumping the gun goes on here. Soon people will be making their final judgement on projects by just looking at the hole in the ground.

"That hole is just a pastiche of more superior holes".
"This hole lacks the design intelligence of classic holes."
"This is such a faux hole."
"The proportions are not perfect enough to be considered an elegant hole".

I could go on, but I won't.

Ridiculous. It's so easy to throw out the legitimate concerns and opinions of others when you're blinded by height (see how easy it is?).

I'm not blinded by the height, it looks kinda stumpy right now. It needs to be about 40 floors taller.

Waiting for the finished project, to judge if it will be the Toronto equivalent of the Burj Dubai.

That wasn't aimed at you of course caltrane. I know that you do like this building for more than just its (final) height.

And by the way, you're doing a real kick-ass job with all your construction update photos.. :)

Ridiculous. It's so easy to throw out the legitimate concerns and opinions of others when you're blinded by height (see how easy it is?).

Thank you.

This love-in of Aura is getting ridiculous with forum member after forum member lining up to defend Aura as if its beauty were some definitive truth. Some people think it sucks. Deal with it.

Like some others, I wonder what Aura's redeeming feature would be if it weren't tall. I think that should be one of the ways we judge buildings: take a look at what's already built (the podium) and then judge that portion of the building as if that were all that would be built. So, let's say that Aura wasn't a 78 storey skyscraper. Let's say it was an 8 storey shopping mall housed in the as-built podium. What would your thoughts on the design be? This isn't trivial: this is the view that most people will see from the street if they don't crane their neck. I think it's fair to judge the building on its podium alone, since it's so pivotal to the experience of the building for most users and, based on what I see, I think it sucks.

Thank you.

This love-in of Aura is getting ridiculous with forum member after forum member lining up to defend Aura as if its beauty were some definitive truth. Some people think it sucks. Deal with it.

Like some others, I wonder what Aura's redeeming feature would be if it weren't tall. I think that should be one of the ways we judge buildings: take a look at what's already built (the podium) and then judge that portion of the building as if that were all that would be built. So, let's say that Aura wasn't a 78 storey skyscraper. Let's say it was an 8 storey shopping mall housed in the as-built podium. What would your thoughts on the design be? This isn't trivial: this is the view that most people will see from the street if they don't crane their neck. I think it's fair to judge the building on its podium alone, since it's so pivotal to the experience of the building for most users and, based on what I see, I think it sucks.

Forum members that like the design of Aura (or any building for that matter) have an equal right to express and defend their opinion as do people that hate this project. Isnt this the reason why this forum exists in the first place? Or in your words: some people think aura rocks. Deal with it.

I disagree that it is fair to judge a project without seeing it complete. Imagine observing the CN tower back in the day when it was first being constructed. How can you truly appreciate and judge the CN tower if it is only halfway built? If we were to truncate the CN tower at 8 storeys because this was all street level people would see, then it would only appear as a concrete stub. While I agree that you can typically get a feel for the project and speculate how the final design will be based on what is currently built, it is merely that, a speculation.

Regardless of your perosnal feelings on Aura - google mapping the architect's office and judging them firm because they aren't in a renovated loft building on Wellington with eames reproductions... is hella horrible.

Regardless of your perosnal feelings on Aura - google mapping the architect's office and judging them firm because they aren't in a renovated loft building on Wellington with eames reproductions... is hella horrible.

Couldn't agree more!

Forum members that like the design of Aura (or any building for that matter) have an equal right to express and defend their opinion as do people that hate this project.

Well, obviously. When a handful of people defend it, that's fine. When there are two pages of non-stop defense of the project and people use phrases like "it's a fact", I start to question whether some kind of herd mentality is going on. Also, I wonder who they're preaching to if they are all in support of it. Is posting more praise just an exercise in high-fiving each other? I just think that kind of behaviour is immature. Even though I don't really like Aura, I'd think it would be just as immature if there were 2 non-stop pages of people dissing this project.

I disagree that it is fair to judge a project without seeing it complete. Imagine observing the CN tower back in the day when it was first being constructed. How can you truly appreciate and judge the CN tower if it is only halfway built? If we were to truncate the CN tower at 8 storeys because this was all street level people would see, then it would only appear as a concrete stub. While I agree that you can typically get a feel for the project and speculate how the final design will be based on what is currently built, it is merely that, a speculation.

Well, the difference between the first 50 meters of the CN tower and Aura's podium is that the CN tower's first 50 meters are just a structural base that can't be used by anybody. The first 8 floors of Aura are occupiable space and also the primary reason that the vast majority of Torontonians will use Aura: as a shopping mall. I also know enough about the first 8 floors, and then the next 30 to tell you that, in my opinion, the transition between the two is awkward, and that the first 8 floors are a visually incoherent collection of boxes and notches. I don't need to see all 78 floors to be aware of this.

Back