Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 569
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 562
Aura: Urbanism at its finest!

Are those two ladies watching the "20% off all the waxing" special being performed in that miniscule nail salon?
Or is that chair outside the waiting area?

I am not sure this Pacific Mall kiosk-sized shop concept will really work here. It may end up just like the Chinatown Centre which is downright depressing.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, that's a real shame. like the classic, street-facing retail spaces are huge format massive corporations and the traditional yonge street type shops are in the little mall/arcade thing inside. i have this feeling like this will be an era in toronto planning that will prompt an enormous backlash and lead to very significant changes down the road, eg. smaller storefronts, serious limitations on formula retail in certain zones, the works. it's actually one thing that you notice right off coming in from montreal or san francisco or nyc - the vastly higher proportion of retail that's owned by chains.

Aura: Urbanism at its finest!

It's the shops of Yonge Street that some dislike so much, tossed into tiny spaces in a cavern below the street - out of view, out of mind.

Meh, dump on the materials and architecture all you want. I don't mind small independent businesses, even if they are just barbershops and nail salons.

What's wrong with those tiny shops? I'd rather have them there than littering Yonge St. Also, It looks like they've already begun cluttering Aura's basement, which should make all the Yonge St. supporters excited. With the "tiny shop bring the pedestrians" argument out of the way, maybe we can start tearing down the townhouses on Yonge. They look 100 times more awful Aura's basement.

Might it be possible not to troll the 'tear down Yonge St.' so much? You've derailed too many threads with that nonsense already.

I'm withholding opinion on the tower until it tops off, but that retail area in the basement is beyond redemption. I could see those storefronts being part of some adaptive reuse project in an older, low-rent building, but the fact that those pictures are of a brand new high profile downtown development is unfathomable. It's as if Dr. Flea's has opened a downtown location.

I'm withholding opinion on the tower until it tops off, but that retail area in the basement is beyond redemption..

I seriously believe Walmart or some equivalent could buy out all these business units and take the hole space. Upstairs there's already something similar. Could work quite well.

I seriously believe Walmart or some equivalent could buy out all these business units and take the hole space. Upstairs there's already something similar. Could work quite well.

It's a sad day when Wal-Mart is an antidote to a mediocre retail area.

Back