a GREAT looking building from street level up and on street level--north and south on yonge street.
HOWEVER
underground it is an abortion.
there are approximately 100 shops in the lower level -- too many, and too small to be of value to retailers. and customers alike.
access to college park is a horrendous exercise of stairs -- no consumer friendly flow between the two complexes. (i go out on yonge street and use ground level access to both buildings, ignoring the basement because the lower level is just a basement.
we had heard that would be a TTC access from the building, but NON in sight.

I agree, it's the basement retail portion where this development is shockingly bad. It's been open for a while now and it's still deserted down there. The store/property owners must be feeling pretty bad about their investments. I think eventually the owners will have to get together and pay for a redesign, of the whole complex and possibly combine the tiny spaces to make larger stores or else come up with some new ideas for retail. (flea market or artsy complex) Something will have to change because the way it is now, everyone must be losing lots of money. At a certain point, something has got to give.

we had heard that would be a TTC access from the building, but NON in sight.

I had read somewhere, a few years ago, that TTC, for its own reasons, was not interested in this link. Something to do with too much congestion on the platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, it's the basement retail portion where this development is shockingly bad. It's been open for a while now and it's still deserted down there. The store/property owners must be feeling pretty bad about their investments. I think eventually the owners will have to get together and pay for a redesign, of the whole complex and possibly combine the tiny spaces to make larger stores or else come up with some new ideas for retail. (flea market or artsy complex) Something will have to change because the way it is now, everyone must be losing lots of money. At a certain point, something has got to give.

In March 2008, units in the basement were going for $ 800 psf. At that time, there was lots of hype about property values going up down the road, captive customers living in AURA and eventual connection to PATH. Things looked very rosy at that time.

There is provision -- knock down panels -- for eventual connection to PATH though.

Apparently the metal canopy will be removed in phases beginning tomorrow:

Oct 3 through Oct 5 - the Gerrard side will be done from 11pm to 10am and the street will be closed during that period.

Oct 6 through 24 - the Yonge side will be completed between the hours of 9:30pm and 5:30am, which will require the closure of the SB lanes of Yonge between College & Gerrard, and business access to those that front onto Yonge will be restricted.

It would be cool if they turned on the lights during Nuit Blanche to add to the festive atmosphere.

Slowly but surely, more people are admitting that this tower isn't as bad as they were all predicting. I'm pretty sure the general public likes this building but I guess we'll have to wait for next years Pug Awards, to see how popular it is. I'm sure it will become a Toronto icon and you'll see pictures of it in every tourism guide. (and Youtube vacation vids)

Back