Mike in TO: Because they're doing something unethical. When someone is trying to build an outlet for one of the most harmful corporations, they're unethical. It's very simple. They're particularly unethical when they're so adamant about installing such a store in a neighbourhood that when a huge outcry against it arises, they simply take it to the OMB to pursue it further.

SP!RE: Yes, and "operating within a capitalist system in which large profit is the most important factor, coming far before other, arguably more important concerns that one would hope would be taken into consideration" to this extent of wanton greed is unethical.

It's disturbing that my calling this developer unethical is being criticized more than the developer/Walmart.

Mr 102: That's why I'm here; I constantly reflect on it, and it's horrifying how little people care about the countless abuses of corporations like Walmart. Even when one is proposed next to Kensington, on a forum of people who care about cities... even then they win, it seems. You obviously need to reflect yourself on why my criticism of this giant corporation is a bigger problem to you than the way it thrives on poverty.

Mr 102: That's why I'm here; I constantly reflect on it, and it's horrifying how little people care about the countless abuses of corporations like Walmart. Even when one is proposed next to Kensington, on a forum of people who care about cities... even then they win, it seems. You obviously need to reflect yourself on why my criticism of this giant corporation is a bigger problem to you than the way it thrives on poverty.

Your reflection seems limited to assuming your position is superior to others.

How exactly is RioCan being unethical? They are a RETAIL Real Estate Investment Trust, not a CONDO developer. Maybe the highest and best use for the site is more housing in an already residential area instead of retail. if that is the case they will undoubtedly sell the site to someone who values it more.

As for the whole "operating in a capitalist system in which large profit is the most important factor, coming far before other, arguably more important concerns that one would hope would be taken into consideration."" This is not a private company it is a public REIT which means that their most important concern is to abide by the wishes of its unit holders. That is their FIDUCIARY duty! If their unit holders say that making profit from developments like this one are what it wants, the trust is going to do it.

So go ahead and get mad with Ed Sonshine as well as Blackrock (4.6% holders), TD (2.5%), Mitsubishi (2.2%), BMO (2.1%) Pyramis (2.0%) and CIBC (1.8%). They all own over over $100mln each in the company.

How exactly is RioCan being unethical? They are a RETAIL Real Estate Investment Trust, not a CONDO developer. Maybe the highest and best use for the site is more housing in an already residential area instead of retail. if that is the case they will undoubtedly sell the site to someone who values it more.

The previous use on this land was for mainly retail (Kromer Radio, an autobody repair shop, electronic retailer-wholesaler, etc,...)

RIO-CAN CEO Ed Sonshine is looking like a genius!

Gee, what's wrong with this?...throw 3-4 floors of office or condos on top (similar to Queen/Portland) and 'Bob's your uncle'.

Hmmm,.... sounds like you think RIO-CAN`s Queen & Portland project is "iconic",.... ;p

sunnyraytoronto:

I don't think Big Box store as a landuse is appropriate for a setting that is predominantly residential and intensely urban in nature.

AoD

sunnyraytoronto:

There is retail, and then there is big box, unspecialized retail.

AoD

It's specialized. It's specialized cheap! ;)

Seriously though, it's new expensive retail. You aren't going to put mom and pop in there you will want national retailers who won't do a midnight move and will pay their rent and DRAW customers. If it wasn't walmart but was instead a shoppers and either a new Loblaws "Whole Foods" type urban store that they have been wanting to do or a Fresh & Wild would people be complaining?

sunnyraytoronto:

I don't think Big Box store as a landuse is appropriate for a setting that is predominantly residential and intensely urban in nature.

AoD

It's on an AVENUE. By definition this should the RETAIL and COMMERCIAL portion of a residential area. If this site was a block further west then fine, but it's on one of the busiest streets around, one one a streetcar track and in an area that is under serviced! This should be intensive commercial more than almost any other site.

sunnyraytoronto:

AoD

And it seems Walmart agrees with you! :eek:

What gets lost in all these debates are the facts,...

This will NOT be a standard 200,000 square feet Giant Walmart SuperCentre Store,..... it will be a new format 90,000 square feet Walmart "Urban 90" store,... less than half the size of a Walmart SuperCentre store

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Walmart+urban+90

http://www.instoretrends.com/index.php/2012/04/03/walmart-urban-90-small-supercenter-toront/
http://www.canadiangrocer.com/top-stories/walmart-goes-small-with-new-supercentre-11085
http://www.thestar.com/business/2012/04/12/walmarts_plan_to_battle_target_dollarama_in_canada.html

See the link provided by AutomationGallery in post# 223,.... total size is 147,000 square feet over 3 floors,... Walmart is only using 2nd and 3rd floors.
http://www.trinity-group.com/properties/new-urban-centres/toronto-on/bathurst-college/

Just like Loblaws acquired ShoppersDrugMart to go after smaller store format,... that can penetrate into more local urban areas,... Walmart has new Urban 90 format smaller footprint stores to fit into more urban areas,... and in this case, it`s split over 2 floors so it will be half the regular Walmart Urban 90 footprint!

Last edited:

Back