This may be a bit off topic, but I'm very curious as to what Ford can do about these kind of waterfront projects. Which ones are funded by the province and which require Toronto money? Which are under the control of city council and which ones are out of their hands?

This may be a bit off topic, but I'm very curious as to what Ford can do about these kind of waterfront projects. Which ones are funded by the province and which require Toronto money? Which are under the control of city council and which ones are out of their hands?

That's a very complex question as the funding is tripartite (Feds, Province and City) but some (all?) projects require the normal EAs, zoning and permits. Most of the ones now active have already received most of these so will go ahead, others further in the future need some or all of these 'permissions'. In some cases the City is (or was?) contributing additional $$ as the Waterfront Toronto funding is not enough. Other projects actually run by WT (Pan-Am Games Athletes Village) are going to be totally supported by Provincial $$ - possibly with more from the developers. In short, each project is different but the further they are in the future and the more that extra City $$ are needed the more fighting there will be.

Last edited:
This report doesn't show the timeline for this. What's the status on this quay development?

That boardwalk is an important addition. Most of the boardwalks being added along the waterfront serve only to widen the space at the water's edge or for uniformity with the rest of the waterfront plan. This one will actually serve to connect an orphaned part of the waterfront to Queens Quay. This can't happen soon enough.

Hahahaha...

portlandslip.jpg

Who in their right mind would play Frisbee there??
I hope it goes in the water and floats to Rochester :p

Well if it's similar to the wave decks, it should last 30 or so years. Probably even longer, since the wave decks are subjected to a lot more wear and tear than a light post.

Well if it's similar to the wave decks, it should last 30 or so years. Probably even longer, since the wave decks are subjected to a lot more wear and tear than a light post.

I think so too, but it's not a material that I've seen used for park lighting posts that often. I hope they don't start to slowly crack after a few years. It's just an optics issue, I suppose.

Back