23 November 2010:

First, I saw the results of the wrecking ball:

dsc01974y.jpg

Then, in horror, I watched another part of concrete Toronto threatened with destruction:

dsc01978urbandreamer23n.jpg

What the hell is going on, Toronto???

Um, it would probably need to be clad in titanium to pull it off aesthetically. Even then, there's the small details of its needing to nuke the City School and Ireland Park, its failure to really use the Malting Silos for anything, the accoustics in its oddly shaped music halls would probably be crap, and the fiscal reality that all of its target anchor tenants have built their own halls.

Interesting concept, but to me it falls short on all the key details. I just can't see it as viable.

While I agree that the site should be used for a people magnet such as a cultural facility, I think that the place for something really iconic is the empty lot at Rees & Queens Quay.

I think that the place for something really iconic is the empty lot at Rees & Queens Quay.

I agree. I hope something iconic is built on this large parcel of land. Perhaps this would be a good location for a first class aquarium (not the 3rd rate Ripleys proposed for the foot of the CN Tower). What I hope does NOT get built on this large parcel of land is a wall of condos which would obscure the view of the CN Tower and Skydome from the lake. This view must be preserved.

I hope it is some sort of facility that is open to the public. An aquarium would be great if Ripley's falls through. I just hope it's not private residences.

Holy crap! Was someone on LSD when they designed that thing?
That being said it's pretty cool.. I highly doubt Mr Gravy Train would approve of it though..

Now that is the kind of landmark structure the waterfront deserves.

Of course, proposed renders a dime-a-dozen, and as far as I can see, this is nothing more than one architect's fancy, and not a serious venture.

I don't absolutely hate it, but I'm not loving it either. From a total layperson perspective, it's kind of funky and cool but oddly disturbing at the same time. Maybe that's the alien influence :)

Back