"Now, if you don't like Toronto's architecture is one things, but please the next time refrain from call my city ugly, because it's not, and you clearly never see or lived in a ugly city."

Yea, that's really the kind of remark I want to seriously engage with.

That's just because you're not able to have a dialogue without making pretentious and pointless statements. Let me remind you what kind of enlightening claims you made in the last page:

i really hope not. expensive red granite or not, one "vaguely pomo" open zipper building is plenty.

God Toronto's ugly.

I'll see you around :D

As seen from my window:

15767920945_f9ef2e6b97_b.jpg

guessing thedeepend is in his later age. so he comes by it honestly its a generational thing. But if im wrong about that.. then something truely is wrong with his ideas on what beauty is. Please enlighten us all on what you do find pleasing to the eye in the city of Toronto. Or is there anything? if not. get off the threads cause its simply annoying to be put down every time any of us have an opinion regarding the beauty in this great city. no its not the best. But your oppinion isnt always correct either. nore are some " facts " you spout off. So chill dude. its not all about you.

Thanks for that photo, reaperexpress. Where's thedeepend now?

Bad Bear, you should just ignore him/her like many of us already have. You really can't argue with senior citizens who sit at home all day and scrutinize every little detail instead of looking at the bigger picture. Is Toronto ugly? Nope, not even close to it, and anyone that has been to other cities around the world would know that. Is Toronto the most beautiful city? Again, it is not. After having lived in several cities around the world, I've learned to realize just how amazing Toronto is (in my opinion, the best city in the world), and I've also learned to recognize its shortcomings, and how trivial those shortcomings are for anyone that doesn't obsess over them every single day like thedeepend does.

Cue the grammar lesson...

Last edited:
So Anyword regarding Bay Adelaides Third Tower yet? and what hieghts and appearence might have? I have not yet seen any early renders of it. The only one I can think of is an ariel view dipicting it to be a more rectanglular shape. And It appears to be shorter then the current two. I will try and find that render sometime.

"Now, if you don't like Toronto's architecture is one things, but please the next time refrain from call my city ugly, because it's not, and you clearly never see or lived in a ugly city."

Yea, that's really the kind of remark I want to seriously engage with.

If Toronto is just so darned "ugly" as was suggested, then would you explain to me why we are ranked, in almost every poll on the web, as having one of the most beautiful skylines in the world? Have a look on line, we're always ranked in the top 20, even the top 10, seems to me personal opinion isn't everything. Yes, we have our share of boring, cookie cutter buildings, but we also have some very unique architecture. Before insulting the city I love, please, open your eyes at what's all around you, just sayin' :cool:

We do have a nice skyline, but there's a clear difference between how our city looks from afar, and what the street experience is like. On the ground, that beautiful skyline is often sullied by messy hydro, dirty utility poles, and very poorly maintained streets.

I spose this is now getting/already is off topic, but yeah.

Ironically, while BAC2 won't add a huge amount to the beauty of the skyline, it should bring improvement at street level.

Having been away from Toronto for almost three years, I have noticed that a lot of downtown buildings are upgrading their streetscaping, and all the new buildings bring public art and at least some street improvement. Toronto looks better than when I left. In my end of town, the BIA redid Bloor from Lansdowne to around Dovercourt (maybe further?) - it isn't mind blowing, but it is a lot nicer. Dundas West was done in the last few years and looks great - fantastic bench and bike lock design. Yonge and Bloor definitely looks better, though of course the tree situation is disappointing. Having a beautiful Queens Quay will be a huge improvement. I'm sure there are other local improvement I have yet to see.

Unfortunately, I find that the ugliest streets in Toronto are downtown or main streets like Eglinton (and especially main north/south thoroughfares like Bathurst or Dufferin). The fact is the city has to have a targeted approach to its improvements. If only the city created a task force to improve our streetscape piece by piece, starting with Yonge.

The problem for me is that Toronto's face is often ugly. As you travel through its main streets, the city doesn't address you, it is all too often just a utilitarian passageway. Toronto has huge ugly warehouse and industrial areas seen from the highways.

But, as a whole, Toronto is also full of residential streets that, while not sophisticated or sometimes even in the best repair, I find quite charming and indeed very beautiful. Trees and greenery abound, as does great residential architecture in many neighbourhoods. There are a lot of avenues with nice architecture. The ravines, like other beautiful things in Toronto, are under appreciated. Many towers are banal, or have an awkward relationship to the street (especially the 60s and 70s towers), but there are many gems as well. Taken together, they do indeed form a beautiful skyline (who can honestly say that reaperexpress' capture above - a city with subtle and diverse building shapes surrounded by a sea of tinted leaves - is ugly?). And the lake and islands are fantastic - an unquestionably beautiful setting for a city, if we can just connect the two better.

Toronto's next phase of development has to be a melding of utility and beauty.

Last edited:
Ironically, while BAC2 won't add a huge amount to the beauty of the skyline, it should bring improvement at street level.

Having been away from Toronto for almost three years, I have noticed that a lot of downtown buildings are upgrading their streetscaping, and all the new buildings bring public art and at least some street improvement. Toronto looks better than when I left. In my end of town, the BIA redid Bloor from Lansdowne to around Dovercourt (maybe further?) - it isn't mind blowing, but it is a lot nicer. Dundas West was done in the last few years and looks great - fantastic bench and bike lock design. Yonge and Bloor definitely looks better, though of course the tree situation is disappointing. Having a beautiful Queens Quay will be a huge improvement. I'm sure there are other local improvement I have yet to see.

Unfortunately, I find that the ugliest streets in Toronto are downtown or main streets like Eglinton (and especially main north/south thoroughfares like Bathurst or Dufferin). The fact is the city has to have a targeted approach to its improvements. If only the city created a task force to improve our streetscape piece by piece, starting with Yonge.

The problem for me is that Toronto's face is often ugly. As you travel through its main streets, the city doesn't address you, it is all too often just a utilitarian passageway. Toronto has huge ugly warehouse and industrial areas seen from the highways.

But, as a whole, Toronto is also full of residential streets that, while not sophisticated or sometimes even in the best repair, I find quite charming and indeed very beautiful. Trees and greenery abound, as does great residential architecture in many neighbourhoods. There are a lot of avenues with nice architecture. The ravines, like other beautiful things in Toronto, are under appreciated. Many towers are banal, or have an awkward relationship to the street (especially the 60s and 70s towers), but there are many gems as well. Taken together, they do indeed form a beautiful skyline (who can honestly say that reaperexpress' capture above - a city with subtle and diverse building shapes surrounded by a sea of tinted leaves - is ugly?). And the lake and islands are fantastic - an unquestionably beautiful setting for a city, if we can just connect the two better.

Toronto's next phase of development has to be a melding of utility and beauty.

This is off topic but Eglinton is being torn up east to west over and over again right now for transit tunnel construction.

Once it's over and they rebuild the street & sidewalk, and if Eglinton Connects happens, it should be a lot nicer.

This is off topic but Eglinton is being torn up east to west over and over again right now for transit tunnel construction.

Once it's over and they rebuild the street & sidewalk, and if Eglinton Connects happens, it should be a lot nicer.

I hope so, however the power lines will probably stay.

Back