Sales office is looking a bit spare, but getting close?

DSC00795.jpg

They've been working on it for a bit over a month.

Here's a pic from March 7, when they first started work on this. At the time, I thought this was prep for demolition:

It became clear this was for a sales centre. These are my pics from last week (April 10):

Since the photos shared above, they have put up signs advertising Bijou.

Sadly, I've been too busy to post recently, although I keep snapping pics of projects when I come across them. I'll try to take the time today or over the weekend to post what I have taken that remains relevant to various project threads.

Attachments

• IMG_20190410_065728.jpg
    IMG_20190410_065728.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 306
Beautiful building which will clean up that dreary side of the street. The bottom retail will beautify Bloor St. with high end stores.

To all of our valued customers who have enjoyed movies with us at Humber Cinemas, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your support. It has been an incredible journey, however every journey must come to an end. As of May 30, 2019 at midnight, the Humber Cinemas will be closing its doors for good. As a valued customer, we wanted to inform you in advance that our last business day for shows will be on Thursay May 30th, our showtimes for the last week are below.

I would have liked to have gone to one last film here… but I've seen two of the four that they're playing (one was awful), I haven't seen the previous two instalments of one of the films, and my level of interest in a furry Ryan Reynolds does not trump a certain other event that will be underway at the same time tonight. Oh well…

Toronto has a ton of soul. It just isn't the same soul as it was in 1985.

True. However, there is something of a needless disregard for buildings or uses of extraordinary value in aesthetics or comfort or originality.

This is isn't new, nor unique to Toronto, but it is a thing.

Specifically, Toronto has really lost (at least as working institutions) ALL of its great movie theatres.

No one should ever have expected them all or even 1/3 of them to be retained, as times changed.

But to lose them all (excluding what are now the Ed Mirvish, and Elgin/Wintergarden, but which no longer function as cinemas) seems a shame.

The closest thing we've saved as a working cinema is Bloor/Hot Docs, though I would not call it 'grand'.

We've lost to demolition, in the last, 35 years:

The Uptown
The University
The Palace
The York
The Biltmore
The Hollywood
The Hyland
The Roxy/Allenby
The Humber

But to name a few.

We've also lost to repurposing:

The Eglinton
The Capitol
The Runnymede

It would have been nice to save and restore even 2 of them.

The above 3 are still resurrectable, but I can only imagine the business case for the Eglinton and even that would require a non-profit model similar to Hot Docs.

None of the newer venues have as much character.

Scotiabank/Paramount was close, albeit in a very modern way, but the on-going changes have diminished it, and it too is on its way to the demo pile.

The Varsity has low ceilings in its common area and an entrance befitting a mall.

The former AMC at Yonge-Dundas is forgettable.

I'm content to live in the present and aspire to the future, not wallow in the past, but it would be nice if we could bring some of the best of the past forward with us as we go.

Back