News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Last year was it's biggest year ever in terms of rides and revenue, I think. They did expand the footprint quite a bit, so I'm not sure if that's true on a per-bike or per-dock basis, or just on an absolute basis.

Hi everyone! I want to say that despite all the complaints, I think we're starting to have a really great bike share system! I just went Downtown yesterday, and I was amazed at how many docks there are in even the most obscure places! It was incredibly convenient to use, except for the 30 minute limit.

I live downtown and have my own bike, but I've had a membership since the first year. If you're sticking downtown, it's amazingly convenient, and getting better recently for the belt around downtown as well. But yeah, they need to increase the 30 minute limit now that they are sticking stations way out there.

I live downtown and have my own bike, but I've had a membership since the first year. If you're sticking downtown, it's amazingly convenient, and getting better recently for the belt around downtown as well. But yeah, they need to increase the 30 minute limit now that they are sticking stations way out there.
I would leap frog from station to station. I don’t think any station is more than 30 mins from the next.

I would leap frog from station to station. I don’t think any station is more than 30 mins from the next.
Ideally you shouldn't have to "plan" detours to your route in order to leapfrog though.

I'd like enough coverage so that you can continue traveling in one direction to your final destination without having to take a couple minutes detour to a station out of your way to reset your time.

Alternatively, 45-minutes largely makes this concern irrelevant for trip-based traveling. I imagine most people's destinations on bike are within 45 minutes*. Only those using the bike share for recreational use would likely still have to be keeping track of the time at 45-minutes.

(* - as a Midtown user, trips to downtown and vice versa are in the 25-35 minute range, which is troubling with the current 30-minute limit. Probably more-so for users who aren't fit 20-somethings as myself)

Ideally you shouldn't have to "plan" detours to your route in order to leapfrog though.

I'd like enough coverage so that you can continue traveling in one direction to your final destination without having to take a couple minutes detour to a station out of your way to reset your time.

Alternatively, 45-minutes largely makes this concern irrelevant for trip-based traveling. I imagine most people's destinations on bike are within 45 minutes*. Only those using the bike share for recreational use would likely still have to be keeping track of the time at 45-minutes.

(* - as a Midtown user, trips to downtown and vice versa are in the 25-35 minute range, which is troubling with the current 30-minute limit. Probably more-so for users who aren't fit 20-somethings as myself)

There were stats on this from one of the linked reports:

In 2020, Bike Share Toronto had 18,780 annual members. An annual member will on average, spend $14 per year extra on overage fees, 33 percent of which is incurred for trips between 31 minutes to 45 minutes. Annual Membership grew 18 percent in 2020, and is expected to grow further in 2021, with a year to date growth of 25 percent.

Suggesting that a good chunk of their overage fees comes from people doing exactly what is intended - short, point to point travel - but it takes them just a little longer than the program allows for short point-to-point travel.

Start StationStart TimeEnd StationEnd TimeDuration
Livingston Rd / Guildwood Pkwy3/20/21 15:18Blantyre Park3/20/21 16:291h 11m 9s

I disagree 🤣
Laggard, it should take you less than 3/4 hour, https://goo.gl/maps/rAju3YxCFJ7tY788A

There must be a station closer than Blantyre? Hmm…. I just checked the map, there doesn’t seem to be one.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if anything might be slightly closer, but there's no doubt that you can't close that gap in 30 minutes. Maybe on a road bike, if you hit the lights right.

Laggard, it should take you less than 3/4 hour, https://goo.gl/maps/rAju3YxCFJ7tY788A

There must be a station closer than Blantyre?
Yes. The Guildwood station belongs to the Scarborough cluster. But if you want to get from Scarborough to Toronto it was the shortest way I could find.

You can read all about that adventurous day a couple of pages back:

Start StationStart TimeEnd StationEnd TimeDuration
Livingston Rd / Guildwood Pkwy3/20/21 15:18Blantyre Park3/20/21 16:291h 11m 9s

I disagree 🤣
Same, I tried my best to do it in 30 minutes but I couldn't!

screenshot_20200706-203750-jpg.256147

Did it on an e-Bike though:
screenshot_20200825-183841-jpg.265658

Back