News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If ebike utililization drops off a cliff, maybe they will revisit the incremental charge. If the problem was a small group of users camping on these, this seems like a good change to make sure they are broadly available. Maybe there are other structures that could work, such as a higher fee membership that includes 2x30 minute ebike sessions per day, and each additional session costs per minute. This would serve the same purpose of discouraging gig workers from monopolizing them.

Really, gig drivers would/should be better off renting their own ebike, not using a bikeshare. There are services that offer long term ebike rentals. I guess Bikeshare helps to reduce risk/liability of theft.
Agree with having a higher tier(one that wouldn't bill ebike by the minute).
Your idea if of capping the ebike use per day then charging by the minute if you go over your cap is an excellent idea.

As an aside, I've only used the ebike once. The only time I think I would really need it is if I'm going uphill.

I've only managed to get an e-bike maybe three times, but they are pretty nice if you are just trying to get across town quickly. It's all just easier. You don't need it, but it's a nice benefit.

I've only managed to get an e-bike maybe three times, but they are pretty nice if you are just trying to get across town quickly. It's all just easier. You don't need it, but it's a nice benefit.
I can see ebikes making bike share a lot more compelling to a lot of users, for speed and arriving at your destination without being a sweaty mess.

The few times I got one it made my journey a lot better. But it has been really rare. It's not a deal-breaker for me as I love biking, but it's definitely easier.

Any word on Bike Share Expansion this year?

We know what the stated plans are; but as to when rollout will begin, I'm not sure.

They were supposed to be early this year, that's why they got permission to pre-order the bikes and docks last fall ahead of the budget process.

Of course, they failed to fully deliver last year's expansion (which was supposed to include Leaside/Thorncliffe/Flemingdon, and were at least 14 docks short of their promised total.

I would contact them, but I don't think they like me much, LOL, as I call them out for being late/missing their own chose deadlines and goals every year. LOL

You should tweet at them and/or send an email to Justin Hanna:

Justin.Hanna@toronto.ca

Rollout of the last of last year's commitment has just begun.

Two stations up and running in Flemingdon Park.

Grenoble Dr / Deauville

and

Grenoble Dr / Gateway

Presumably this will followed in short order with the balance of that area, Thorncliffe and Leaside.

* the above two are listed inside the data set for Bikeshare, but neither yet appear on the map.

Two more.

Grenoble/Vendome

and

Thorncliffe/Leaside Trail

None of these have been announced yet, nor are they on the map, I'm going to guess they're waiting to get a critical mass of them up in the area, then stock and publicize them all.

Two more.

Grenoble/Vendome

and

Thorncliffe/Leaside Trail

None of these have been announced yet, nor are they on the map, I'm going to guess they're waiting to get a critical mass of them up in the area, then stock and publicize them all.
All 4 are showing on the app but not on the website, so it looks like they're usable. Finally I don't have to take my own bike to Costco lol

New Flemingdon outposts now showing on map:

1682438145528.png

So far, the lone Thorncliffe spot is over here:

1682438186912.png

Last edited:

Back