News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I think I received a card waaaaay back in that first year of Bikeshare. I wonder if I still have it somewhere.
They used those little fobs in the first year or two before introducing the cards. I loved the fob. I have both in a drawer somewhere.

Reactions: max
Am I the only one still using the card to unlock bikes? 😅

I don't even keep the card in my wallet, just in my pocket. It is quick to slot in and out and the bike unlocks right away. I don't like fumbling with my phone, especially in the colder months where I have gloves on and store my phone in my inner jacket pocket while biking.
I'm afraid if someone steals my card they will steal a bike!

I haven't had bikeshare since 2018 and decided to sign up again as I hated worrying about locking up my bike or waiting for rush hour to finish on the TTC or go.

I tried getting a bike around Eglinton west but had to walk over 30 mins to get to a station that had a bike, on a Tuesday afternoon!
I'm not sure if they deactivated the screens but none of them worked the whole trip, I remember you used to be able to extend a rental without penalty if the dock was full but had to use the screen.

I also came across 3 broken station spots, pressing the wrench didn't change the color to red though. The PBSC app is terrible and I had to wait around 5 mins for it to realize I docked before letting me rent another bike.

I guess the system is a victim of it's own success as all the downtown stations were full, luckily I had time to kill but this really would suck if I had been in a rush to catch my train.

I guess the system is a victim of it's own success as all the downtown stations were full, luckily I had time to kill but this really would suck if I had been in a rush to catch my train.

All of the downtown stations full is actually a curse if you live downtown. It is easy to find a bike but very frustrating to return. I have very often had a 10 minute return trip with more than 20 minutes tacked onto the end trying to find a place to return the bike. It doesn't help that the app reports incorrect information about the number of available spots for return.

I haven't had bikeshare since 2018 and decided to sign up again as I hated worrying about locking up my bike or waiting for rush hour to finish on the TTC or go.

I tried getting a bike around Eglinton west but had to walk over 30 mins to get to a station that had a bike, on a Tuesday afternoon!
I'm not sure if they deactivated the screens but none of them worked the whole trip, I remember you used to be able to extend a rental without penalty if the dock was full but had to use the screen.

I also came across 3 broken station spots, pressing the wrench didn't change the color to red though. The PBSC app is terrible and I had to wait around 5 mins for it to realize I docked before letting me rent another bike.

I honestly never even consider using the dock displays, the best bet is downloading the latest Bike Share app (iOS App Store link) which is miles ahead of the PBSC one.

Broken docks are definitely more common now than a few years ago, hopefully this is just growing pains rather than worrying trend.

It doesn't help that the app reports incorrect information about the number
This is major. Waa at downsview last weekend and both the new app and old app said there was 1 bike a available but that bike was actually reported as damaged ans couldn't be taken on

from reddit.

xjaere7n38zc1.jpeg

This is major. Waa at downsview last weekend and both the new app and old app said there was 1 bike a available but that bike was actually reported as damaged ans couldn't be taken on

I agree. Walked by my local return station last night and it said there were 9 open docs. There were actually only 2. Often I see that there are 4 or 5 available and when I pass by there are none.

I agree. Walked by my local return station last night and it said there were 9 open docs. There were actually only 2. Often I see that there are 4 or 5 available and when I pass by there are none.
According to the FAQ if the dock is full you can extend your rental for 15 mins in the app, I wonder though does it only work if the app thinks it's full.

WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I NEED TO RETURN MY BIKE AND THE STATION IS FULL?

"Alternatively, receive an extra 15 minutes to find an available station on the PBSC app by tapping the full station on the map. "

Wild idea for the bike shortage at some locations. Bike share could start a loyalty program/time credit for returning bikes in zones that have completely empty docks.
Communauto does that with their flex cars.
Definitely. Boston Blue Bikes is also powered by Lyft's app and has the Bike Angels program. You earn points for moving bikes to or from hubs where they're really needed and more points are awarded depending on the need. You can then swap those points for swag and free day passes.

Definitely. Boston Blue Bikes is also powered by Lyft's app and has the Bike Angels program. You earn points for moving bikes to or from hubs where they're really needed and more points are awarded depending on the need. You can then swap those points for swag and free day passes.
That's great to hear. We should be able to emulate this here

Wild idea for the bike shortage at some locations. Bike share could start a loyalty program/time credit for returning bikes in zones that have completely empty docks.
Communauto does that with their flex cars.
Seems like a fairly obvious solve. Heavily discounted or even free rides if you move a bike from a high occupancy ( >75%) dock/zone to a low (<25%) occupancy one. This would reduce the operating cost of repositioning bikes. It may serve as a gateway and encourage trial to use the system.

Would be neat if this kind of underground bike storage was available here. Although, the cost to install is probably not worth it 😅
That's more relevant for privately owned bikes. For bikeshare, because the bikes are fungible, the superstations are a good solution. It sounds like there just needs to be some process improvement to let people dump bikes more quickly.

Back