News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Though I am sure there is vandalism and theft here too I do not remember seeing any figures and the info below from Belfast seems extreme.

December 4 2017 Fewer than one in seven Belfast Bikes are now in operation amid a growing wave of vandalism. Under 80 of the public hire bicycles are currently available out of nearly 600. It is believed that number has dropped even lower at times. Police have made a raft of arrests in relation to attacks on the bikes.

I don't think the entire $25 million is going to bike share, is it?

That's correct; some will go to 10-year plan build-out. The funding was largely based on the requests made by municipalities of the province.

300 stations is the main message here. When they expanded by 150 stations (half) in June 2016, it expanded coverage by over 250%. That expansion as well as the most recent one already did a lot of infilling of the core downtown area to keep up with demand. Imagine what they could do with 300 additional stations.

Reactions: vic
I just started receiving the monthly newsletter, and they've got some neat monthly stats in it:

upload_2017-12-8_14-47-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-8_14-47-50.png
    upload_2017-12-8_14-47-50.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 364
I'm beginning to notice more of my Bikeshare bikes are worn out or damaged. Bells that stick are common, also loose head stocks, lights that stop immediately when bike stops (failed capacitor?), and increasingly bald tires.

I haven't seen a bike bad enough yet to press the "fix bike" button on the station.

Last edited:
I bought a nice Dutch bike this summer, which uses the same gearset and coaster brakes as the Bixi bike. My dutchie is much nicer to ride than a Bixi, but the brakes and gears have the same feel. It makes me think the components will last forever...

I bought a nice Dutch bike this summer, which uses the same gearset and coaster brakes as the Bixi bike. My dutchie is much nicer to ride than a Bixi, but the brakes and gears have the same feel. It makes me think the components will last forever...
My wife's Linus Dutchie has the same Shinano Nexus gear set, except her's is 8 speed, with a top ratio that allows her to go much faster. I'm thinking of buying one of these with expanding drum brakes, just like on my old 1960s motorcycle.

http://simcoebicycles.com/bike/roadster-signature#.Wir8_VWnHIU

Had to get to Queen and Leslie today. Picked up Bikeshare at Gerrard and River, but app shows station at Queen and Larchmount is full of bikes, so I had to drop at Queen and Pape and walk six or more blocks. The Larchmount station had over 20 bikes in two banks of stations, surely they could arrange an open spot or two? Then rode home and there were zero bikes at Carlton and Sumach station, just ten empty docks. I imagine shuffling bikes around is a science, but I would like to think by Saturday morning that the system has been reset after the week's usage.

Well, that rather obvious. Bikeshare is for those that it works for. They never claimed it's for everyone.
I'm not against bikeshare in the least, just not hulking tanks (42 lbs) that weigh twice what reasonable bikes weigh. "Bixi" is not for everyone. Nor is bikeshare. If and when they offer something more elan and maneuverable, something you can dance on, then I'd be very interested.

Does this sound like you by some chance?
[...]
No One Likes Getting Dockblocked
Ironically, as I researched bike share’s best practices from ITDP’s office in Washington DC, I’d given up riding bike share to work, despite having stations within a block of my home and office. It seemed like, more often than not, there was either no bike at the station near my house or no dock near my office — usually both. Sometimes, I’d ride to my office to find no available docks, forcing me to ride half way back home to leave the bike at nearest open dock and then walk many blocks. I’d arrive late to the office frustrated by a 45 minutes commute that should have only take 15 minutes at most.

These “dockblocking” experiences are maddening, even for someone like me, and I love bike share. As a transportation researcher I also know that reliability is a key factor in any user’s modal choice. People will avoid riding a bus to work if 25% of the time that bus doesn’t arrive or doesn’t stop near their destination and the same goes for bike share. Yet even the world’s most established bike share systems offer a comparably poor level of service at peak hours: users in 7 different new York City neighborhoods have a 25% or higher chance of finding a full station at peak hour. While bike share has, for the most part, been a major success and done a great deal to improve mobility within cities, many of us believed it could perform much better. We wanted bike share to be reliable, not just for a weekend trip to the cafe, but as a standard commuting option anywhere in a city at peak hours when it’s needed most, by the most people.
[...]
https://medium.com/social-bicycles/...ke-and-the-death-of-dock-blocking-9f52bb642ae

I realize you're not an avid cyclist. I am, and so are others. As it stands, Bixi (or the latest TO iteration of it) has little to nothing to offer me for cycling in snowy, icy weather. I'm seriously shopping for a fold-up, low centre of gravity, (so going down is far less dangerous) quality machine worth the investment, and one that *I can take inside almost anywhere* let alone take on GO trains even during peak, and airlines and intercity trains.

Bike Friday looking good for a second-hand one. I'm far from the only one not availed to using Bike Share at this time. Why in hell would I want to put myself in danger on a machine that is neither nimble or agile? 42 freakin' pounds! And no give when it does go down, it's all dead weight.

Tell me, do you ride a Harley 1800 in snowy and icy weather? And yeah, I used to have a Beezer, a Triumph and a Francis-Barnett when I was younger, but other than the the motocross F-B, I never took them out in the snow. I left that to crazy people.

I'm not about to do it with a 42 pound behemoth of a bike. So enjoy your pleasure while you can. I'll wait for something more appealing, and safer, and walk to be safe to be able to fly again come the warmer weather.

Btw: Hamilton gets good mention in the article linked above.
About the Author: Colin K. Hughes is an urban planner and cycling expert who has worked with the Backroads Cycling, the Asian Development Bank, the Institute for Transportation & Development Policy, and Social Bicycles on aspects of urban cycling, cycling tourism, and bike sharing in over 30 countries.

As to the claims of (gist) "Bike Share is much safer"...it lacks context. I'm sure the Lada had a much lower crash rate than Corvette. Does that make it a safer vehicle? Hardly...
Why so safe?

To figure out why bike-share users have stayed safer than cyclists manning personal bikes on American roads, the MTI researchers consulted industry experts and held focus groups in the regions studied. They emerged with two explanations.

The first credits the design of bike-share bicycles. These behemoths were built for durability—they’re stocky, heavy, and decidedly biased against speed. “I don’t think these bikes were designed for safety,” says Elliot Martin, an assistant research engineer at UC Berkeley who helped author the report. And yet, it looks like safety is a “side effect,” he says. Limiting the speed of these shareable babies makes it harder for their riders to get into wrecks. Additionally, many bike-share cycles are brightly-colored, and come equipped with lights, all of which make them easier to see (and avoid) at night. The lesson, particularly for new bike-share systems, may be pretty simple: don’t fix what ain’t broke.

Another reason may go back to the new users that have glommed onto bike-share. This explanation is somewhat counterintuitive. It might seem that riders who have newly adopteda cycling commute might be, well, pretty awful at it, liable to careen into poles or other bikers. But the MTI researchers suspect it’s the opposite. New riders may be extra-cautious while aboard their borrowed bicycles, which could lead to fewer crashes.

There are other factors, too: Bike-share systems often pop up in dense, urban areas with at least a modicum of bicycle infrastructure, like protected lanes. Additionally, bike-share bikers are often maneuvering around slower-moving urban traffic, which decreases the risk of injury. (According to the experts consulted for the report, the ideal speed limit on a roadway with adjacent bike lanes should be between 20 and 30 mph.)

It should be noted that the researchers did find fatalities in other North American systems: Two people have died using bike-share in Canada, and one person died in Mexico. Additionally, the U.S. data doesn’t mean that bike-share is risk-free. “Some people can and do get very injured using bike-share,” Martin says.

The helmet conundrum
The report also adds to the mounting evidence against the efficacy of mandatory helmet laws. Previous studies have found that mandatory laws are not associated with lower rates bike-related hospitalization rates. And as the researchers write here:

[Bike-share safety] is definitely not due to increased helmet use, which is widely documented to be lower among bike-sharing users. For all their well-documented safety benefits, helmets, like seatbelts in cars, mitigate the severity of injuries when a collision does occur, but they do not prevent the collision from occurring.

The science of bicycle helmet laws is, to put it bluntly, pretty weird. As the MTI researchers point out, helmets are good—they do reduce the incidence of head injuries among riders. But when examining bicycling populations on the whole, researchers have found that mandatory laws disincentivize bike trips, especially those spur-of-the-moment ones. As Eric Jaffe wrote on CityLab, “In places where [bicycling is] unsafe, the laws may make riding a little safer, but are also likely to distract attention from initiatives, such as infrastructure upgrades, that would be even more effective.” In other words: if it’s a zero-sum game, let’s focus our energies on creating excellent bike infrastructure.

“Nevertheless,” the MTI researchers write, “the widespread use of helmets in this environment would unequivocally improve bike-sharing safety.”
https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2016/04/why-bike-share-is-really-very-safe/476316/

"Context is Everything"

Last edited:
As it stands, Bixi (or the latest TO iteration of it) has little to nothing to offer me for cycling in snowy, icy weather.
Okay. It's not for everyone, but Bikeshare is popular, as I plan to use it tomorrow from Cabbagetown to Union when the first snow means the drive to work on the Gardiner will be a nightmare to be avoided via GoTrain.

I have not seen winter usage stats, but I assume like with private cycle usage, Bikeshare usage drops significantly when it's icy and snowy. But how many icy or snowy days is urban Toronto likely to see? I'd think we're likely to have about 30-40 days a year with significant snow.
I'm seriously shopping for a fold-up, low centre of gravity,
Sounds like you've found an option that works for you. Looks like a win all round.

Last edited:

Back