News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I am glad they are adding stations at Dupont Station and Summerhill Station. It would have made life a lot easier when I was taking a continuing education course at George Brown back in May. I am happy to see that kind of commuting flexibility is becoming an option in this city.

I saw a few new stations and Bixi people walking bikes to the new station over the weekend.

If you've already paid for the Bike Share membership fee to cycle elsewhere and only intend to do a loop of the island (90 minutes for a slow scenic ride), it's about $10 difference, in favour of the Island Rental.

http://www.torontoislandbicyclerental.com/#!blank/c66t
http://www.bikesharetoronto.com/pricing

I guess the existence of Island Bicycle Rental is one reason why Bike Share doesn't have stations on the islands (that and the inconvenience of BST moving bikes back and forth between the islands and the mainland to distribute them evenly).

Bike Share at East York Civic/Toronto East General is a good thing - health centres should have active transport options. Am concerned about dock placement at Coxwell-Danforth. There is a TPA lot adjacent to the subway station but the logo is to the south of Danforth...

EDIT: just noted the posts which say the placement isn't final

I've combined the three separate Bikeshare maps into one, albeit imperfectly. Click to enlarge.
Nice context map.

That's finally a useful looking bikeshare system, encompassing a whopping 34 TTC subway stations and 4 GO stations -- Bloor, Danforth, Exhibition, and Union and 3 future GO RER/ST stations (Gerrard, Unilever, Liberty Village). Although, I kinda wish it was a smartbike system (even if I pay a convenience fee to leave the bike behind at a plain ordinary bike rack instead of returning it to an official bike station).

Obviously, $4.9M seems unable to spread bikes and stations as far as High Park nor Beaches, but that obviously would happen in a subsequent incremental expansion.

Does Bike Share Toronto plan a "half-season" membership similar to Montreal's $55 membership? I don't like their pricing structure.
Might have to bite the bullet and get a $90 membership even if I only ride a few times a month.

Last edited:
Here's existing versus new stations, from this tweet.

Not as annotated as salsa's map, but it illustrates existing-versus-new.
a.jpg

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 597
Last edited:
I definitely noticed several new locations when I was in TO this past weekend, however some were slightly off from the map. It would be useful to see a map that had a different colour for the new/old locations, just for comparison.

Here you go.

output_1fomiT.gif

And you can zoom in closer if you follow this link.

Attachments

• output_1fomiT.gif
    output_1fomiT.gif
    205.6 KB · Views: 818
Does Bike Share Toronto plan a "half-season" membership similar to Montreal's $55 membership? I don't like their pricing structure.
Might have to bite the bullet and get a $90 membership even if I only ride a few times a month.

I've thought about this too and figured that it's not that bad.

If you take 30 rides in a year, each ride is a little more than a TTC token. If you do 3 rides a month, it comes down to $2.50/ride. And I'm sure that in the summer months you can get more out of it.

I have a bike myself, but I can see myself using Bike Share to get to a place, buy something that I can't ride home with, and then take the TTC back. Or ride to a bar, have a few drinks, and take the TTC back.

Also, they still have to announce details about the half price membership for PRESTO users which will definitely make things even more affordable.

I've noticed a lot of the new stations have been put in place and are operational, but the station map on their website hasn't been updated, nor have any of the apps I've used over the past few years. Anyone know when the maps will be updated? It's helpful to know if a station is full/empty.

I've noticed a lot of the new stations have been put in place and are operational, but the station map on their website hasn't been updated, nor have any of the apps I've used over the past few years. Anyone know when the maps will be updated? It's helpful to know if a station is full/empty.
Their system needs to somehow automatically update station locations. I think all kiosks have GPS in them, so the back end could just be made to automatically update. It would make incremental expansions and temporary stations (events) a lot easier, no reprogramming apps...

SoBi does this (and even on a per-bike basis), why can't the BIXI-derived system at least on a per-station basis?

Or do they already do that, but need to "turn on" the bubs/stations first?

Some of the new locations are already on the BikeShare Toronto map... there's also several where the GPS is badly malfunctioning...

I'd assume, though, that the docks not on the map just aren't online yet. The original release said it'd be up and running by the 11th.

Agreed that the map is useful but I would rather they work on getting the new docks set up and bikes distributed - I am sure the map will be done asap.

Some of the new locations are already on the BikeShare Toronto map... there's also several where the GPS is badly malfunctioning...

I'd assume, though, that the docks not on the map just aren't online yet. The original release said it'd be up and running by the 11th.

As I check this afternoon the map has been updated from this morning. There are still a couple missing, ones that I've used already and know are operational that are not yet on the map but I'm sure they will be there soon.

Back