News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

New Location is up at Coxwell and Plains Rd. (1/2 way between Cosburn and O'Connor) .

Good spot, by stores/restos and a major High School.

I think they put stations at King/Brant, King/Spadina and King/Charlotte because they were given the space as part of the King Street Pilot.

I don't get the logic. The pilot (all the street patio fluff) made King extremely hostile to bicycling (who wants to bike on streetcar tracks?). They are trying to compensate by dumping some bikeshare stations on it?

I don't get the logic. The pilot (all the street patio fluff) made King extremely hostile to bicycling (who wants to bike on streetcar tracks?). They are trying to compensate by dumping some bikeshare stations on it?

My guess is they want to provide people from other areas of the city with more options to bike TO or FROM King not necessarily ON it.

My guess is they want to provide people from other areas of the city with more options to bike TO or FROM King not necessarily ON it.

Well so many destinations are ON King but you can't bike ON it anymore. I don't understand how this is not a consideration.

Well so many destinations are ON King but you can't bike ON it anymore. I don't understand how this is not a consideration.

Fair. Was just a guess. Most of Toronto roads are unbikeable anyways. If they started considering bike share locations based on how hostile the roads are we'd have like 5 stations.

Probably more to make it seem like "King is for Everyone" so let's toss some bike stations around it.

I actually prefer biking on King vs. Adelaide or Richmond now since it's so empty. Adelaide and Richmond have too much bike traffic.

Fair. Was just a guess. Most of Toronto roads are unbikeable anyways. If they started considering bike share locations based on how hostile the roads are we'd have like 5 stations.

Probably more to make it seem like "King is for Everyone" so let's toss some bike stations around it.

I wouldn't have minded the lack of bikeability if they had actually given streetcars protected lanes and signaling priority. Anyway, that's a different thread.

I actually prefer biking on King vs. Adelaide or Richmond now since it's so empty. Adelaide and Richmond have too much bike traffic.

You're not bothered by cycling on streetcar tracks? It's really dangerous.

Personally I think King & Spadina does need many stations right next to each other.

There were always issues with no docks in the morning, no bikes at 5-6

King and Spadina is going to need all the help they could get. After looking at this map, I would never move into that area:

Toronto projected population growth.jpg

Attachments

• Toronto projected population growth.jpg
    Toronto projected population growth.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 784
New East End Locations are in at:

Withrow Park (top, north end, east side)
Withrow Park (bottom, south end, west side)
Blake/Boultbee
Greenwood Park (Greenwood/Dundas)(actually, Alton as its the west side of the park, south side)

I wouldn't have minded the lack of bikeability if they had actually given streetcars protected lanes and signaling priority. Anyway, that's a different thread.

You're not bothered by cycling on streetcar tracks? It's really dangerous.

What are you talking about? There is plenty of room to bike on King and not on streetcar tracks.

In fact, biking on King is beautiful now. So much space!

Placing more bikeshares on King is a wonderful idea.

I’m in Shanghai at end of August and will see if it’s any better than my visit to Shenzhen in February. At the latter, I saw bikes chucked in hedges, leaning against highway exit ramps, and basically dumped everywhere. I believe I’m also in Singapore soon, and I’m looking forward to seeing how that ultra organized nation does Bikeshare. I'll post some pics.

IMO, the Toronto docked bike model works perfectly. I walk 5 mins and grab a bike, ride to Union, grab my train. All’s good.

Last edited:

Back