News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Four new Bikeshare outposts in midtown.

Yonge/Davisville
Yonge/Lawton
Yonge/Balliol
Frobisher/Lascelles (Oriole Park effectively)
Amazing.

Judging from here, they are already being actively used. (Blue meaning nearly empty)

upload_2018-8-24_11-56-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-24_11-56-4.png
    upload_2018-8-24_11-56-4.png
    507.9 KB · Views: 471
Amazing.

Judging from here, they are already being actively used. (Blue meaning nearly empty)
As the Bike Share folk are not too good at filling empty (or emptying full) racks I am not sure I would assume that just because a rack is empty means it is heavily used!

Does Bixi contract out the transferring of bikes from one rack to another ? I had a driver through FetchIt who said he also uses his Van for bixi bike transfers... and the Van was not labelled.

As the Bike Share folk are not too good at filling empty (or emptying full) racks I am not sure I would assume that just because a rack is empty means it is heavily used!
In fact it's with near certainty that people took the bikes in the morning and rode them downtown to their jobs and nobody is riding them back uptown. That's the opposite of heavy use.

I think it will be a more common use case to bike to the subway station and take the train downtown than riding bike share all the way downtown, once there are at least a few more stations around the area.

I think it will be a more common use case to bike to the subway station and take the train downtown than riding bike share all the way downtown, once there are at least a few more stations around the area.
I actually did this today for the first time. I live downtown so I don't usually take the subway but needed to get from Bay/College to Warden as quickly as possible. Got a bike share at Bay/College, dropped it at Bay Station and got on the subway. Got to my destination in 30 mins while avoiding packed trains on Yonge and being able to get a seat by getting on before Bloor-Yonge.

Speaking to a senior TTC executive, the TTC is getting serious about taking over BikeShare and the Parking Authority isn't interested in keeping it. It's always been an odd fit. I think it would make a lot of sense in an era when the Province may be taking heavy rail away from the city. The TTC could focus on local transit: streetcars, buses, bikes.

Speaking to a senior TTC executive, the TTC is getting serious about taking over BikeShare and the Parking Authority isn't interested in keeping it. It's always been an odd fit. I think it would make a lot of sense in an era when the Province may be taking heavy rail away from the city. The TTC could focus on local transit: streetcars, buses, bikes.
Frankly, the TTC running BikeShare does not sound like a good idea; they need to concentrate on getting their current operations under control (headways, headways, headways) before taking anything over. TPA seems to have run it pretty well and IF the TTC proves it can run things it NOW has then MAYBE it makes sense to give them more to do.

The TTC will find a way to screw up Bike Share so badly, I wouldnt be surprised to see it end up turning into a shell of it's current self. The way Bike Share operates right now is great, and the Toronto Parking Authority has done a great job even though it never had any experience running these types of operations before.

The TTC cant even run it's own current operations properly, so there's no way in hell I believe they can operate a simpler operation properly. Generally speaking it would make sense for the TTC to operate Bike Share, but the with the way the TTC does things it wouldn't be the best thing for Toronto.

IMG_20180826_0751373.jpg
Bike share here in Singapore. I was surprised to see China's OfO bikes here. And this local share company.

IMG_20180826_0945139.jpg
IMG_20180826_0948054.jpg

I wonder how the dockless model jives with Singapore's strict rules.

Attachments

• IMG_20180826_0945139.jpg
    IMG_20180826_0945139.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_20180826_0948054.jpg
    IMG_20180826_0948054.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_20180826_0751373.jpg
    IMG_20180826_0751373.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 434
all i want is presto on bikeshare (and the ferry) idc who operates it. also traveling south towards downtown tends to be downhill so i imagine ppl are more willing to bike to work and take transit on the way back. maybe bikeshare should offer free (or discounted trips) to those who are willing to bike in the off peak direction, i swear this is either already a thing or has been suggested. better than paying a van to carry them

Presto on Bikeshare would be such a negligible improvement that it's not worth anyone's time. I don't know why it keeps coming up. The only logical way to use Bikeshare is to buy the annual membership (around $70) or day/3 day passes if you're a tourist. If you want to advocate for monthly membership I get that but adding it onto Presto virtually improves nothing.

Rode an electric Bixi in Montreal yesterday, and tested it going up a hill. These would be amazing for going up to St Clair!

Toronto ordered 2 of these as part of the current expansion order, so hopefully we get them soon as well.

Makes more sense for TTC instead of TPA to run Bike Share. But I'd rather have it in Metrolinx's hands, with regional expansion. A single consistent system throughout the GTA would be amazing, especially when paired with transit.

Back