The loss of the 'entertainment' elements of the area to residential and Rabbas will turn this area from an 'entertainment district' to a 'condo district'

very good point...plus, once the new residents move in, they will be /shocked/ to discover how noisy the district is, and then seek to banish the entertainment venues. Maybe there are better places to add condos?

I mostly agree with the sentiment that it is a loss to see the Diesel Playhouse go. It is fairly new, but an addition that I quite enjoyed. The shows in this space seem to have gone quite well.

The condo proposal seems to go back to 2003, long before Diesel established itself there. I wonder if the owner would change his/her mind on building a condo there if the theatre continues to be successfull, and brings in steady revenue.

Hmm looks like it could be fairly decent looking. It's pretty typical, nothing too special about it.

It's a done deal, I'm afraid.

I mostly agree with the sentiment that it is a loss to see the Diesel Playhouse go. It is fairly new, but an addition that I quite enjoyed. The shows in this space seem to have gone quite well.

The condo proposal seems to go back to 2003, long before Diesel established itself there. I wonder if the owner would change his/her mind on building a condo there if the theatre continues to be successfull, and brings in steady revenue.

I worked briefly at the Diesel (I'm a comedian and occasional theatre technician). My understanding is that the producers running the Diesel were able to get the space precisely because it is slated for demolition. The rent is quite minimal, but there is a rider in every show contract stating that productions may be canceled without notice if demolition is proceeding.

The whole place is living on borrowed time, and from my recent research all zoning issues have been cleared up. The OMB lists the project as approved by city council. My guess is that they're just waiting on finance issues. Unless the housing market takes a serious tumble, expect demolition sometime this summer.

(I'm a comedian and occasional theatre technician)

I find this hilarious, having done the latter half for a half dozen years (but not the former). The juxtaposition I mean. Funny, no?

IATSE rules! Unless they don't let you in... then, non-union rules!!

Technically Funny

I find this hilarious, having done the latter half for a half dozen years (but not the former). The juxtaposition I mean. Funny, no?

IATSE rules! Unless they don't let you in... then, non-union rules!!

There are a few of us out there, mostly we're the artsy ones who aren't afraid of the board. While I'm not IA I will agree that they rule.

Gnome

To this day there are only 14,749 people in the entire world who know where stage right is (or camera right). Even fewer who know where house right is. Leko is one of my favourite words to this day. I had difficulty house-training a beloved pet years ago so I named him Leko.

This bit of trivia is supposed to qualify as techni-humour, though admittedly it's early in the morning.

The Diesel seemed to fill a much-needed niche in the Toronto theatre scene: accessible yet quality, small-scale professional theatre with a ticket price that didn't break the bank. I've seen a few things there and have always enjoyed the atmosphere and the setting. With 2nd City across the street and the the Mirvish houses on King the area always felt a little 'west-endy' to me which is great. Shame it's going, and apparantly 2nd City too I believe? Oh well, Toronto certainly needs more condos:rolleyes: Still, I'm hoping the Diesel format proved successful and that it can live on in another location, given a little more financial backing.

To this day there are only 14,749 people in the entire world who know where stage right is (or camera right). Even fewer who know where house right is. Leko is one of my favourite words to this day. I had difficulty house-training a beloved pet years ago so I named him Leko.

This bit of trivia is supposed to qualify as techni-humour, though admittedly it's early in the morning.

Actually Stage Right = Camera Left (or house left)
And where did you get 14,749 people?

It is going to be very sad to see this space close.

Just saw the new application for the 56 Blue Jay Way site. The building has grown to 106m (developers cited M5V) and now includes a more substantial hotel element. The design itself is quite different from what is in the old council document, but will be quite striking.

I'll try and post renders as soon as my camera is fixed. Stay tuned.

in todays star,meeting for rezoning for a 41 storey building at 56 bluejays way.looks like the entertainment district is going to be full of 400-500 footers.

All these highrises are going to kill the current atmosphere surrounding the midrises on Wellington. Highrises to the south, east, and now north.

Ugh. Neither of these condos should be built, but especially not the one on the Diesel Playhouse. The city goes on and on about mixed uses, but I'm not seeing any mixed uses in any of these plans. The Entertainment District will be as sterile and purely residential as a suburb. The city goes out of its way to protect dying downtown industrial uses with zoning, but completely ignores the demolition of successful arts facilities and commercial buildings. I'm really, really hoping that the housing crash takes care of these.

41s Application Submitted

After going through AND securing approvals for a 18 storey residential condo in 2007... I guess the builder came back with formal applications for a 41 storey tower now (as others noted) ... WOW thats more than double then the previous approval :eek:

56 BLUE JAYS WAY

Application #: 08 209949 STE 20

Description: New rezoning applciation to permit the construction of a 41 storey point tower on the lands - refer to previous by law 1067-2007.

Non-Residential GFA: 11,089.00 sq.m.
Total Proposed GFA: 33,799.00 sq.m.

Total 264 units

City Contact: Philip Carvalino, 416-392-7574

Back