Nothing more than infill. Location is everything, and apparently design doesn't matter. Build and they will come, regardless of the bland mundane appearance. The design review panel
has to up their game a few notches.

Agreed. Very disappointing.

This tower and 375 King Street West (M5V Life) look cheap and utilitarian from Spadina with graceless features like 375 King West's mechanical box and Bisha's blank wall. Even Bisha's front facade is a dud. It emphasizes symmetry, but the mechanical penthouse (which isn't centred) throws the composition off balance. They might as well redevelop the Petro Canada to block it from view, but it probably won't happen. That gas station is one of the last in the downtown core and is probably very profitable near the Gardiner.

This tower and 375 King Street West (M5V Life) look cheap and utilitarian from Spadina with graceless features like 375 King West's mechanical box and Bisha's blank wall. Even Bisha's front facade is a dud. It emphasizes symmetry, but the mechanical penthouse (which isn't centred) throws the composition off balance. They might as well redevelop the Petro Canada to block it from view, but it probably won't happen. That gas station is one of the last in the downtown core and is probably very profitable near the Gardiner.

375 is terrible. It had so much promise. Shame. Bisha is a massive disappointment. Its saving grace may be the podium but I won't hold my breath. Many new builds in the area but most are mediocre at best. This is what we do with our entertainment district.

375 is terrible. It had so much promise. Shame. Bisha is a massive disappointment. Its saving grace may be the podium but I won't hold my breath. Many new builds in the area but most are mediocre at best. This is what we do with our entertainment district.

I agree, Bisha is a massive disappointment since it purported to be at least slightly different from your generic Toronto condo, and none of it panned out.

The rooftop outside amenity area -- for the residents - is dependent on the asymmetric mechanicals. The cabanas and the lounge area is enlarged by the placement of the mech box. These buildings aren't just for buildings fans to appreciate from afar... they are homes for the residents, and their function is important too. A selling feature may have been that opportunity to enjoy the views and uniqueness of a "yard" more than 40 floors above the city.

The rooftop outside amenity area -- for the residents - is dependent on the asymmetric mechanicals. The cabanas and the lounge area is enlarged by the placement of the mech box. These buildings aren't just for buildings fans to appreciate from afar... they are homes for the residents, and their function is important too. A selling feature may have been that opportunity to enjoy the views and uniqueness of a "yard" more than 40 floors above the city.

I never doubted that there were practical reasons for the positioning of the mechanical penthouse. However, the architecture of the building should have been conceived to be harmonious from top to bottom.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017

20170528_142507.jpg

Back