Uhh those renderings look a lot different from what was first proposed... the benches are absent from all of them, whereas the original proposal was a little more imaginative with curved planters, seating, and public art. These renderings look incredibly dull... it literally is a reconstruction of the sidewalk and some slightly raised planters.

Definitely a victim of The Cheapening.

EDIT: Made a little comparison post on my blog

Confirmed. Definitely The Cheapening™.

Frankly, the new designs are a lot more civilized than the previous incarnation which had distracting LED video screens and planned sidewalk clutter.

I know it's a cliché, but "Less is More" definitely applies here.

But not a bike lane in sight.

it's kind of an insult too. They've taken out the parking, widened the sidewalk, all in the name of streetscape improvements... and now we're left with the typical planters that take up little sidewalk room.. and a huge sidewalk that probably could have been narrowed by a metre to accomodate bike lanes.

There is still a public art component that isn't in the renderings. Fountains might look nice, but they are a maintenance nightmare - just think pipes and use of salt in winter. The only complaint I have is that the planters could be more generous in width.

Actually I do preferred the widened sidewalks - the lack of bike lanes is regrettable, but at least the traffic on Bloor should be of a lower speed.

AoD

Colour me...in wait-and see mode. The renderings really don't show much. But given what's being spent, I think good materials, at least, are a must.

As for bike lanes, I would love to see them on Bloor. However, I also don't mind the notion of having super-wide sidewalks and no bike lanes on our main streets (Bloor, Yonge, Queen, Avenue/University etc.) but generous provision for bikes on the thru streets which are not principal arteries. St. George/Beverley is a good example, as is Harbord.

Since those roads actually go places (unlike most Toronto non-arterials) but don't have the volume of auto and ped traffic the main drags do I see no reason they shouldn't get the full monty bike treatment--counterflow lanes, physical barriers, whatever.

Actually I do preferred the widened sidewalks - the lack of bike lanes is regrettable, but at least the traffic on Bloor should be of a lower speed.

If traffic moves slow enough then bikes can very safely use the full standard lane as a regular vehicle.

Public art will come as an international competition later on.. So fret not, there will be plenty of art.

I love how this is supposed to be a revitalization of Bloor Street. Meaning, make the street more attractive. Yet, they've cheaped out once again. Why even bother making changes if they're going to be half assed? Speaking of revitalization...Nathan Phillips Square is hardly recognizable anymore. So much activity has happened since that competition last year. Was there even any point in that competition if the city has no idea of fully funding it? Why the hell would any outside company or individual want to invest their own money to fix it up?

Back