MWB:

Cheaped out? Half-assed? I don't call paving an entire stretch of the street with granite, installing public art AND haviing mature trees, irrigation systems AND stone planters cheap OR half-assed.

In the meantime, I don't see any complaints on this thread about how Chicago (or Belgrade) didn't have stone pavers (concrete sidewalk in the Chicago pics ShonTron posted of the Magnificant Mile; concrete pavers in Belgrade, plus the lack of planters around trees) and thus "cheaped out". In fact, everyone lapped it all up as if it's a godsend.

BTW, those "lines" are pieces of granite. You know, it doesn't come in a single slab covering the entire sidewalk. Hell, they even attempted to create patterns by using different sizes and shades and still got talked down as "cheap".

AoD

I actually like the new sidewalk design. It's like a modern cobblestone walkway. I'm disappointed they removed other elements though. I don't care much for the planters either.

I really don't think there is a need to be fancy with the street re-make. For the love of god if we just planted the trees at grade we would improve the streetscape in the city tremendously over time.

MWB:

Cheaped out? Half-assed? I don't call paving an entire stretch of the street with granite, installing public art AND haviing mature trees, irrigation systems AND stone planters cheap OR half-assed.

In the meantime, I don't see any complaints on this thread about how Chicago (or Belgrade) didn't have stone pavers (concrete sidewalk in the Chicago pics ShonTron posted of the Magnificant Mile; concrete pavers in Belgrade, plus the lack of planters around trees) and thus "cheaped out". In fact, everyone lapped it all up as if it's a godsend.

BTW, those "lines" are pieces of granite. You know, it doesn't come in a single slab covering the entire sidewalk. Hell, they even attempted to create patterns by using different sizes and shades and still got talked down as "cheap".

AoD

Ahh what public art? There is none in the render. The cut slabs of granite look terrible. They should have stuck to just large square junks rather than having a million pieces of varying size. And i'm sure the trees won't be that large when planted. They'll take several years to grow.

MWB:

Ahh what public art? There is none in the render.

As per the Bloor-Yorkville BIA Newsletter
http://www.bloor-yorkville.com/imgs/February2008.pdf

An art component will be included, as part of an international competition, specifically created for Bloor Street.

Why render something when the results from that competition hasn't even been announced?

And i'm sure the trees won't be that large when planted. They'll take several years to grow.

As per the project description from aA:
http://www.architectsalliance.com/portfolio/urban/bloor-street

Improvements include widened granite sidewalks, public art, new lighting and street furnishings, and continuous planting areas with mature trees, shrubs and flowers in raised beds.

The cut slabs of granite look terrible. They should have stuck to just large square junks rather than having a million pieces of varying size.

And I prefer a million pieces of granite over concrete paving in Belgrade.

AoD

"And I prefer a million pieces of granite over concrete paving in Belgrade"

I do too.. if they are arranged in great patterns it could be much more interesting than huge slabs a la Dundas Square

"The biggest impact on Bloor Street will be the trees.
We will be planting 155 London Plane trees and they
will be magnificent. Intermingled with the trees will
be seasonal flower beds planted in the spring and
summer.

The new up-lighting in the area will create quite an
impact and there will also be the option to change the
colours of the lights at different times of the year.
Lastly, widened granite sidewalks will be installed."

from the BIA report

Bicker about the granite and how it looks in the renderings, but c'mon, we all know it will look fine when it is complete. Granite always looks sharp for sidewalks, and it is tough and will last.

I'm still so happy they are finally doing away with the street parking here and widening the sidewalk. I wish we could see that in more places around the city.

The only major problem I still have with this entire revitalization plan is the lack of bike lanes. This is a perfect opportunity to add some bike lanes on one of the busiest bike arteries in the city. The fact that this is not happening makes me think all those bike month promises by David Miller were just for the media.

The light and water features are a definate loss.

I prefer something like the beautiful higher planters used on Yonge in the Rosedale/Summerhill area:

pot%20with%20foliage.jpg

(the picture does not do the material justice).

The ones that seem to be planned (based on the drawings) will be filled every year with road salt after a long winter. Something higher will prevent damages to plants and soil.

I'm a little curious as to how they chose the london plane tree. While it is a nice tree it seems rather irresponsible to opt for such a monoculture.

But given the respect they have shown to cyclists during this project I assume a monoculture is the goal here.
As such the interesting and relevant members of the population will probably continue to avoid the area.

I think it's a stated goal of the BIA to cater to the uninteresting and irrelevant members of the population - it's just that I can't find it in their literature anymore. Funny that.

I'm curious about who these "interesting and relevant members" of the population are. Does that group include Zanta?

As an aside, I saw his worship walking down Bay St. with an aide (presumably back to City Hall) after the groundbreaking ceremony.

AoD

Back