I think the one thing where this area really fell short on is the design of the street lamps. Not only is it not Toronto's traditional downtown style, there is also no illumination provided for the sidewalk.

The lamp-post out side of my house has more style and detailing than the ones on bloor.
Totally agree. Even old strret lamps ( before revitalization) would look better...
I'm totlly suprised , why this issue have been neglected in this project?!

Is it possible that they've ordered special lamps made to be installed at the end of the project? Sugar Beach had street lamps installed before the custom designed lamps arrived some time after the project was completed.

Is it possible that they've ordered special lamps made to be installed at the end of the project? Sugar Beach had street lamps installed before the custom designed lamps arrived some time after the project was completed.

Let's hope, that was a very good comment about the streetlamps.

I had a chat with the landscape architect involved in this project. Their choice of lighting was deliberate to "fit in with the standard Toronto lighting fixtures". So, don't expect the lighting situation to change anytime in the near future. Furthermore, as our streets in the core get dug up for ttc tracks and water main replacement, expect more of the generic Toronto lighting. On streets accommodating street cars, the city has been pretty clear that one side of the street will have ttc metal poles and the other will have those super tall concrete poles with multiple strands of hydro wires. Unless the local BIA and residents are vocal about the pole and utility issues and are willing to fork out money, expect more concrete poles and hydro wires on the streets of Toronto.

I had a chat with the landscape architect involved in this project. Their choice of lighting was deliberate to "fit in with the standard Toronto lighting fixtures". So, don't expect the lighting situation to change anytime in the near future. Furthermore, as our streets in the core get dug up for ttc tracks and water main replacement, expect more of the generic Toronto lighting. On streets accommodating street cars, the city has been pretty clear that one side of the street will have ttc metal poles and the other will have those super tall concrete poles with multiple strands of hydro wires. Unless the local BIA and residents are vocal about the pole and utility issues and are willing to fork out money, expect more concrete poles and hydro wires on the streets of Toronto.

I thought we were on a trend to put those lines underground? What happened to that?

How about style , elegance, cosyness, pedestrian friendliness etc., that unique lamp posts and lighting fixtures are bringing to the street?! What this so called landscape architect may say about the matter?..

Stupid humans wreck everything.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

THIS IS WHY THE CITY NEVER DOES IT RIGHT! because people ruin it if they do a good job..... i honestly couldnt wait to go down to see this but by the time i get there everyones going to have a go at it before i even see it.... ugh!

How could that have happened? Car? Did someone take a sledgehammer to it? It seems like if they were deliberately destroying it they'd take the extra 30 seconds and trample the rest of the flowers.

Looks like a car

So is it safe to assume that the broken planter will be left like that until Bloor Street gets another overhaul in 30 years?

As a driver I actually prefer the yellow colour lamps as opposed to Toronto's downtown white ones.

However, I personally think a pedestrian centric renovation that doesn’t provide pedestrians with illumination in a city that is shrouded in 15 hours of darkness 6 months in a year more or less falls on the other side of stupidity.

This is actually the second time this has happened. Last year another planter on the north side of bloor was hit. Not sure if it's been repaired...My bet is a cab.

This is actually the second time this has happened. Last year another planter on the north side of bloor was hit. Not sure if it's been repaired...My bet is a cab.

I'm sure my eagle eyes would have caught it, so it's probably been repaired. I'm sure these will too, the BIA isn't going to let their millions go to hell in such a short time. It's still a shame though.

Back