Definately an optical illusion. That first rafter for the roof is really like a section, section and a half in from the side of the stand.

At the same time, if you're sitting near the upper rows, one might feel a little claustrophobic. I've never been a huge fan of having a roof seemingly right over you're head in stadiums, and anyone sitting anywhere beyond row 7 in the 100 level outfield at Skydome would know. While I'm sure it won't feel as bad once it's finished, I still ponder the idea if they went with a more open, airy design like the new CFL stadium in Winnipeg. I suppose I will pop a visit here soon enough to see for myself.

https://twitter.com/GIVENS38/status/671343540803387392
9Gx62j5.png

https://twitter.com/Kam_Ivan/status/672158565034041349/photo/1
E2xTBAK.jpg

NmMEuQA.png

PxcMcg6.jpg

3Sy4zYz.png

While it's not attractive by any means, it's pretty incredible how they've been able to build this thing piecemeal over time from a bunch of bleachers to what you suddenly realize can now be called a stadium. Perhaps one final phase can be envionsed in the end whose sole purpose would be to add finishes and street furniture that would make it beautiful. It's not impossible. A lot can be achieved by overing up the bottom of the stands that can now be seen from the outside, adding high quality fishes to the exterior and paving the flooring in something other than concrete.

EDIT: I'd suggest finishing the bottom of the bleachers with this red paneling

msGY2a7.png

urbantoronto-10627-38283.jpeg

Last edited:
While it's not attractive by any means, it's pretty incredible how they've been able to build this thing piecemeal over time from a bunch of bleachers to what you suddenly realize can now be called a stadium. Perhaps one final phase can be envionsed in the end whose sole purpose would be to add finishes and street furniture that would make it beautiful. It's not impossible. A lot can be achieved by overing up the bottom of the stands that can now be seen from the outside, adding high quality fishes to the exterior and paving the flooring in something other than concrete.

EDIT: I'd suggest finishing the bottom of the bleachers with this red paneling

msGY2a7.png

urbantoronto-10627-38283.jpeg

I'd love for that to happen but it's very unlikely we get another phase since MLSE wouldn't be willing to pay for it due to the team already not making any money for a couple of years, money's going be put into the team and hopefully the rest profited

Well given that the fencing behind the last row of the upper deck is about 8, maybe 10, feet high (Designed to prevent people accidentally or on purpose from falling over the side to the ground below) I've been up there, and that the roof structure seems to be at least the same height if not higher than the fencing; than I'd guess that the roof will be at least 16 to 20 feet above your head.

Real shame we can't fill it in as a bowl. The massive opening on the north end is really going to kill the potential for louder acoustics with an enclosed roof!

Real shame we can't fill it in as a bowl. The massive opening on the north end is really going to kill the potential for louder acoustics with an enclosed roof!
It's MLSE we're talking about here; it doesnt surprise me at all that they wouldnt do it. They do things as cheaply as possible, then turn around and ask the city to help them fund their cheap projects.

I like the fact that they are using solid steel beams rather than open web trusses (as shown in renders) for the roof.

It's MLSE we're talking about here; it doesnt surprise me at all that they wouldnt do it. They do things as cheaply as possible, then turn around and ask the city to help them fund their cheap projects.
It's pretty much not possible, not enough room to extend the stands thanks to the Argos at BMO and retractable seats would be to expensive and look pretty ugly when not in use (when Argos play)

Lets just all remember that this is a City-owned stadium being used for a premier sports team (like it or not MLS is top league in USA+CAN) and who's construction has been largely paid for by the private sector at ~$105 million. While I would have loved to get some nicer finishes on this stadium or have the site be more pedestrian friendly and have a full bowl seating too, I think that for the price paid, we got a great place which once again is city-owned. If this were a city in the USA trying to get an MLB/NFL team the city would have subsidized its cost by 50%, handed over some extra land parcels and given the keys to the private sector before pen hit paper.

My hope is that as EX continues to change, the landscaping around it changes too and we get something better along with these changes.

Last edited:

Back