Taken this week.
5695167763_0d89b87878_b.jpg

5695169155_0b73d92e92_b.jpg

5695170371_04d9226396_b.jpg

5707156483_89b9a49638_b.jpg

Andrew - great shots here and in other threads - thank you very much!

Andrew - great shots here and in other threads - thank you very much!

Great photos! Remind me, what is that old clubhouse going to be used for now?

I'm not thrilled to see a slab tower, but it is a hospital, and excepting Princess Margaret, hospital architecture is usually directly reflective of its institutional function. Hopefully the other buildings that go up in this block break up the monolith feel.

Great photos! Remind me, what is that old clubhouse going to be used for now?

I'm not thrilled to see a slab tower, but it is a hospital, and excepting Princess Margaret, hospital architecture is usually directly reflective of its institutional function. Hopefully the other buildings that go up in this block break up the monolith feel.

The old clubhouse will remain a clubhouse, mainly seniors' events, I believe.

What other buildings in this block? This is it, with the old jail being converted to admin use, the new jail being torn down, and the old hospital torn down. The rest is to be parks and bike paths, at least for now.

From my POV today

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

The old clubhouse will remain a clubhouse, mainly seniors' events, I believe.

What other buildings in this block? This is it, with the old jail being converted to admin use, the new jail being torn down, and the old hospital torn down. The rest is to be parks and bike paths, at least for now.

According to the site development plan I read a couple years ago, the plan is to divide the area into a more traditional block format, with sites available for development. The Riverdale hospital site development is (or was) to be financed in part by land sales, which makes absolute sense. There is a lot of "empty" space in that area, and since it borders of the fabulous Riverdale park already, I doubt this land would be allocated to more permanent parkland.

According to the site development plan I read a couple years ago, the plan is to divide the area into a more traditional block format, with sites available for development. The Riverdale hospital site development is (or was) to be financed in part by land sales, which makes absolute sense. There is a lot of "empty" space in that area, and since it borders of the fabulous Riverdale park already, I doubt this land would be allocated to more permanent parkland.

http://www.bridgepointhealth.ca/uploads/About Us/pdfs 2010/Site Plan Feb 2010.pdf

There are five blocks of land where they plan future development. Since there are no announced plans, I'm speculating that those developments are far into the future. (Blocks B & D, in particular, need destruction before construction, as that's the old hospital and Don Jail.) However, given that they renovated the building to act as the site for the new family health practice, I'm betting the midrise on Broadview (Block C on the map) is left 'as is' for quite a while. A good use of that part of the site, IMHO.

Be that as it may, the bike path along the west side of the site and the park on Gerrard (currently a temporary parking lot) will be huge improvements all by themselves.

http://www.bridgepointhealth.ca/uploads/About Us/pdfs 2010/Site Plan Feb 2010.pdf

There are five blocks of land where they plan future development. Since there are no announced plans, I'm speculating that those developments are far into the future. (Blocks B & D, in particular, need destruction before construction, as that's the old hospital and Don Jail.) However, given that they renovated the building to act as the site for the new family health practice, I'm betting the midrise on Broadview (Block C on the map) is left 'as is' for quite a while. A good use of that part of the site, IMHO.

Be that as it may, the bike path along the west side of the site and the park on Gerrard (currently a temporary parking lot) will be huge improvements all by themselves.

Thanks for reposting that site plan! There is more green space than I recalled. Regarding development, I heard chatter in health care circles a couple years ago about a consortium wanting to build on one of those blocks for mixed institutional use, but the credit crunch and recession may have killed that plan. It's a nice area and with the Don being refurbished as a health care centre, I think it's a tempting development site.

I'm hoping for a nice little condo building, for when I'm ancient and need easy access to medical care, since this site is right in my neighbourhood.

A tastefully rehabbed half-round, perhaps ideally?

A lot of time has passed since the declaration that the half-round had to come down. I believe that is still the plan, but as things stand now, you could leave the half-round, tear down the jail (which will happen as soon as the new Etobicoke location is ready, since the jail is SUCH a hole), and it wouldn't even really change the long-range plans. All it would mean is that the development plans kind of ran backwards, as i believe they had planned to develop along Gerrard first.

The inside of the half-round would be a challenge to re-purpose, IMHO. It would take a creative architect to carve out practical suites. No reason it couldn't be done, though.

Back