WislaHD

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Prospective redevelopment. It is identified as an opportunity for intensification in Choice Properties REIT's Q2 Investor Presentation:

Currently site of a Loblaws. Located less than 200 metres away from Broadview Station so I would anticipate density here should this site advance to the development stage.

1598366433942.png

1598366597351.png

I used to be in this area all the time when my friend lived in those apartment buildings on the east side of Broadview. Seems like a logical location to eventually intensify, although bringing back a grocery store tenant should be mandatory here. Whatever ends up getting built here will have some amazing views for those facing south and west towards the downtown skyline.

I would expect to see some crusty pushback from residents to the immediate east of there, but it is a logical location for densification. Depends on how high the new development goes.

I used to be in this area all the time when my friend lived in those apartment buildings on the east side of Broadview. Seems like a logical location to eventually intensify, although bringing back a grocery store tenant should be mandatory here. Whatever ends up getting built here will have some amazing views for those facing south and west towards the downtown skyline.

Yeah something tallish here should have an UT forum photog in residence.. epic shots in all directions.

This site was on LBL's redevelop list 20 years ago.

Though, at the time, what they were contemplating was merely a 'superstore', not residential/commercial on a grander scale.

They began the process of assembling properties to the south; but there were a couple of hold-outs and the project was pushed off.

Not sure which properties if any they actually acquired and whether they have revisited assembly here.

I would like to see the ramp to the DVP behind this site removed.

The traffic movement can be accommodated with minor changes to the Castelfrank/Bayview/Bloor on-ramp structure.

It would make cycling on the viaduct a hell of alot safer.

It would also allow, with slope restoration, gains for nature and for developable land.

Last edited:
I heard a rumour that Choice had been speaking with Toronto Lands Corp., which which manages TDSB property, about bridging the ramp and merging their sites for development. (That school is a masterpiece and this better not happen.)

The ramp shouldn't be bridged, because it should be removed.

That's a given.

I don't dislike the Adult Learning Ctr; though I think Masterpiece is a tad over done.

I will say, a portion of the existing Adult Learning complex may face erosion concerns in the longer term.

The hills are more stable and vegetated than the Scarborough Bluffs........but the building comes within 5.5M of the edge at some points; that does carry some longer term risk.

ZBA application submitted:

Development Applications

Project description:
Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment to faciliate the development of the site for a 35-storey tower atop a 7-storey podium, having a non-residential gross floor area of 2090.5 square metres, and a residential gross floor area of 38,035.20 square metres. A total of 503 residential dwelling units are proposed.

In addition to Loblaws, the development site includes 682-688 and 740-742 Broadview Ave:

1629282449715.png

1629282547332.png

ZBA application submitted:

Development Applications

Project description:

In addition to Loblaws, the development site includes 682-688 and 740-742 Broadview Ave:

View attachment 342300

View attachment 342301

1) @ferusian , did you ever get on a roll!

2) Redevelopment here has been in the offiing for more than 2 decades. Glad to see it come forward.

3) While I will reserve judgement pending renders/plans, the 7-storey podium sounds excessive, but may work.

4) Let's look at the assembly from the air!

1629285636026.png

That's a 14178m2 site, or ~1.5ha/3.75 ac

Finally, heritage notes:

None of the properties to the north of the Loblaws are listed/designated.

However, all of the properties to the south are listed.

It would be great if someone with a better sense on retail could pipe in on this, but 2090 sq.m of non-residential space sounds to me to be too small for a grocery store to be retained on site post-development.

It would be great if someone with a better sense on retail could pipe in on this, but 2090 sq.m of non-residential space sounds to me to be too small for a grocery store to be retained on site post-development.

That's just over 22,000ft2. It is viable, though if from LBL it would be the City Market brand. They have a fair few stores in that size range. Most of the downtown Metros are close to that.

Of course that assumes the supermarket would take all the available retail.

That's about 12% smaller than the existing store on site.

Given the site area, the retail seems small, as does the fact there's only 1 tower.

I'm wondering if we're looking at a substantial on-site park dedication or if there's some other reason for that.

It's official, the neighbourhood is excited at the announcement of this development!

View attachment 342455
Taken from: https://www.blogto.com/city/2021/08...ain-geyser-middle-major-toronto-intersection/

The area is literally 'gushing' over the news!

Sorry..........had to! LOL
Did this happen today or yesterday? I tried to bike down Broadview turning right down from Bloor and the whole area is such a complete disaster and so much road closure (and closure of the bike lane on Bloor as well just prior) that I bailed on the plan. I'd done it a couple times recently but the impact of the road construction seems to be getting worse and worse and now it seems also going a little not according to plan haha

Did this happen today or yesterday? I tried to bike down Broadview turning right down from Bloor and the whole area is such a complete disaster and so much road closure (and closure of the bike lane on Bloor as well just prior) that I bailed on the plan. I'd done it a couple times recently but the impact of the road construction seems to be getting worse and worse and now it seems also going a little not according to plan haha

The watermain burst was today; but the crews were already in the area .........(guess who hit the main.....)

It's easy to have the store on the first and 2nd floor to be larger than the current one. Not all stores haft to be supper size considering stores were smaller than this ones many decades ago as chains appear on the scene.

Always felt this store would see a makeover for the past 10 years and not surprise about the plan. It would be nice to see all the buildings north of the site come down with retail still at grade.

I would relocate the 2 heritage homes closer to the street edge with some grass in front of it with all parking for the site underground. Wider sidewalk is a must for the site as well.

Have said that, have no issues leaving some of the buildings alone to the north with A&W and Pizza Pizza coming down as a must.

Back