I passed the Loblaws at Moore and Bayview yesterday, and I think there is a good case for it to be next, or at least in the crosshairs.

While I certainly wouldn't shed a tear for its loss; I'd be surprised if it was next to go.
The nature of the area (well-monied) and local precedent suggests a height cap in 8-10 floor range, its also a relatively small footprint, and not near an MTSA.
In terms of commercial returns LBL has a dozen sites that would rank higher, I would think.

In that area, I think Redway Road might be more interesting due to the sheer size of the footprint, plus you have all the adjacent valley lands, the railway as buffer, and non-residential neighbours for most of the site.
On-site park dedication would be easy, and merely add-value in terms of rent/sales.

Aside from the sites we know about (including by not limited to Bloor/Dundas, Photography Drive and this one)...

I would think the following sites would be among the most interesting (not in order)

Loblaws Queen's Quay
Loblaws Victoria Park Market (roughly at Gerrard)
Loblaws Dundas West (just west of Jane)
Don Mills Supercentre (at Eglinton)

This is a block from my house and I'm a definite YIMBY on it. It's appropriate to the site, well-considered, and elegantly formed.

Bring it on. I might even look into buying a unit.
I also live nearby and will be supporting this when the time comes. Maybe not buying a unit, but definitely supporting.

My take on this, with comments by a number of those involved at Choice, superkül, and Public Work, is now up on the front page.

Application submitted before any PMTSA around Broadview Station is completed, so this will need to be a site-by-site haggle for any "Affordable-Housing" units out of the ~500 units in this proposal.

Has Choice stated if they are looking for this to be Condo, or Purpose-Built Rental..?

Application submitted before any PMTSA around Broadview Station is completed, so this will need to be a site-by-site haggle for any "Affordable-Housing" units out of the ~500 units in this proposal.

Has Choice stated if they are looking for this to be Condo, or Purpose-Built Rental..?
Not yet. Early goings still, much to be negotiated. They're not using the term POPS yet either for what they refer to as the public plaza at this point. As they are proposing substantial improvements to the valley slope including high quality public access beyond the area that would be excavated for the building, my bet is that they'd look for some public benefit tradeoffs, and—only my uninformed speculation here—might look to the City to purchase some of the ravine land with funds from the Parks in lieu kitty in exchange for something like affordable housing.

For my own part, LOVE the plan generally. superkül's architecture and Public Work's landscape design is a dream combo. Really really want to see the capsule pavilions ending up looking as close as possible to what we see here. The café reminds me of a modernist glass cube in an otherwise centuries-old park in Graz that looked amazing, made you feel good and want to eat there and soak up the surroundings. Toronto doesn't have enough of those refined settings, but this one with the potential fantastic new pedestrian access down into the valley is practically screaming out to become of our best.

720BroadAerPodSWK1280.jpg

Last edited:
For my own part, LOVE the plan generally. superkül's architecture and Public Work's landscape design is a dream combo. Really really want to see the capsule pavilions ending up looking as close as possible to what we see here.
They even match the stairwell of that building north of this as rendered. I consider that a very cool bonus!

I have no issue with the density proposed for this prime site at the junction of the subway, streetcar and bus lines.
But I’m disappointed with the architecture and massing. The flowing form is ultra modern but the use of brick with deep recesses on a massive 8 -stotey podium wrappings the historic buildings gives it a heavy brutalist look. As proposed, the podium looms over and overwhelms the brick mansions instead of complimenting them.
It might have worked if applied only to the lower 3 stories of the podium to continue the rhythm of the existing building line, with the step back occurring from there with a move to a lighter material/form above.
For inspiration one need only look at the Diamond-Kilmer proposal at Broadview and Fulton, or the Sisters of St. Joseph building at the top of Broadview, both of which are much more sympatico and pleasing to the eye.
Like other commenters, I too wonder why only one tower, and why is the grocery store so small? The site and location can certainly support a larger Loblaws.
I like the public gateway to the valley. There is a missing link in this area with the only connection now being up the CALC site’s driveway. More attention is needed to the trail linkages external to the site.
I respectfully disagree with Alex Bozikovic’s comment about the CALC site. It is a gem in the rough. The existing building is ugly, run down and under-utilized. If the massive value of this site were unleashed, it could create a huge endowment for the TDSB that could certainly be put to better use.
And yes, it would be ideal if it were feasible to relocate the DVP ramp to the other side of the valley. If not, why not cover over much of it to bring the CALC site right to Broadview. The one-storey Pizza Pizza is a waste of a prime corner.

Last edited:
If there was, it would be posted. It is considered bad manners to bump an old thread if you have no new information. Especially as your first post.

If there was, it would be posted. It is considered bad manners to bump an old thread if you have no new information. Especially as your first post.
Actually, there is:
The City of Toronto Planning Division is holding a virtual community consultation meeting on the development application to amend the Official Plan and Zoning By-law for 682, 686, 688, 720, 740 and 742 Broadview Avenue locally known as "the Loblaws site". The proposal is for a 35-storey residential building. The development also proposes a public park, a Privately-Owned Publicly Accessible Open Space (POPS), a new connection into the Don Valley Ravine System and retention of the onsite heritage buildings.

Date: Wednesday, February 9, 2022
Time: 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm

This meeting will be online and/or phone-in only. You can see the meeting notice here.

It contains information on how to register for the meeting and also provides links to the supporting documentation submitted as part of the application including architectural plans.

Register to Join Online or by Phone:
Go to www.toronto.ca/cpconsultations
Search for the address: 682, 686, 688, 720, 740 and 742 Broadview Avenue
Click "Register" in the Webex Meeting column
Fill in the Registration form, including your email
Check your email: you will receive an email from messenger@webex.com with links to join online, as well as a telephone number and access code if you prefer to call in to the meeting under "Join the audio conference only." If you're having trouble registering you can email Helen.Song@toronto.ca for help.

After hearing from many of you by email and at the Information Session I hosted this is my motion which was adopted at Toronto and East York Community Council when the Preliminary Report was brought forward.

Request the Director, Community Planning, Toronto and East York District in consultation with appropriate divisions to:

a. Invite Staff from the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority, Urban Forestry, a Senior Environmental Planner from Strategic Policy and Research, the Housing Secretariat, and Transportation Services to the Community Consultation Meeting which City Planning will be hosting in the first quarter of 2022.

b. In the review of the applications, explore the potential for the following:
i. The inclusion of long-term affordable and supportive housing units;
ii. The potential to integrate public parking into the development proposal;
iii. The potential to pursue the highest tier of the Toronto Green Standard;

c. Review the capacity within the public school system, in consultation with all Toronto School Boards, to clarify existing and projected requirements to support new and existing residents in the area.

d. Work with Transportation Services to assess the completeness and accuracy of the traffic analysis put forward by the Applicant.

e. Confirm through the Final Report how the proposal responds to the Province's direction for growth around Major Transit Station Areas (MTSA) including:
i. the origins of the Provincial Policy
ii. clarify what constitutes an MTSA
iii. stipulate the legislative requirements the City must conform to with respect to an MTSA
iv. the specifics on the number of jobs/people per acre
v. confirming the geographic zone of the MTSA at Broadview Station
vi. confirm the existing jobs and residents in the Broadview Station Node, as identified in the Danforth Study work

f. Request City Planning to provide a list of all of the rezoning applications from this applicant and specify the number of those projects which they have gone on to build prior to the Community Consultation Meeting

g. Request City Planning take into consideration all of the questions and comments put forward by the 180 residents who attended the Information Session hosted by the local Councillor on November 18, 2021

h. Request Urban Forestry to provide a detailed report on the number, type and sizes of all trees impacted by the applicant's proposal at the Community Consultation meeting

i. Request the TRCA to provide full comment on issues related to the top of bank and to development on or adjacent to the valley and ravine lands.

You can read the full report here:
https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-172769.pdf

For more information or to share your comments you can contact City Planner Nader Kadri nader.kadri@toronto.ca

My office can also be reached at councillor_fletcher@toronto.ca

I look forward to hearing from you on February 9 and hope you are staying safe and healthy.

Working for you,

861161f5-6277-48cc-b5c3-599912ebdaad.png

Paula Fletcher
City Councillor
Ward 14, Toronto-Danforth

Caught the virtual meeting tonight (thanks for posting info btw) — I was really encouraged by the proportion of folks attending who were speaking out in support of the development. Actually, a number of comments were noted to be more ambitious with height and density.

The gang at Choice mentioned they are considering this being fully rental, but sounds like a decision has yet to be made. They also noted that a replacement Loblaws — along with other potential retail spaces — would be included in the development's podium at street level. Good news story overall (IMO).

While this one sits in limbo for a number of reasons..............

The decision has been taken to rebrand this store as a 'No Frills'.

I would read that to mean no redevelopment is expected for at least 3 years, that's an expensive change. Even for an NF, the typical plan here would be to repaint and re-sign the exterior, while the interior would likely lose its on-site bakery and display case, and that space would in turn likely be repurposed, followed by all new paint and interior signage. That's likely a 7-figure spend, and then a bit.

This area has some low income folks, but is, overall, a fairly high net worth area; it also doesn't have that much high end grocery. Interesting call.

Back