I just felt like bumming myself out (see image comparison below).

I get the impression that city planners or IBI would see the new, lower-slung podium as somehow deferential to the heritage home at the corner, but in fact it has a less interesting dynamic with the house now, and the new tower is crouching far too close over the house, whereas the previous tower left room to breathe. The new podium also just has a scale/proportion and aesthetic that reminds me of a suburban grocery store more than something urbane, and it doesn't engage the corner (right side of image) whatsoever, presenting what appears to be a blank wall whereas the previous scheme by aA made a point of wrapping the window motif around the corner and addressing it.

Missed opportunities all over this one.

eJ7k2pI.png

6tdUqZ0.png

I just felt like bumming myself out (see image comparison below).

I get the impression that city planners or IBI would see the new, lower-slung podium as somehow deferential to the heritage home at the corner, but in fact it has a less interesting dynamic with the house now, and the new tower is crouching far too close over the house, whereas the previous tower left room to breathe. The new podium also just has a scale/proportion and aesthetic that reminds me of a suburban grocery store more than something urbane, and it doesn't engage the corner (right side of image) whatsoever, presenting what appears to be a blank wall whereas the previous scheme by aA made a point of wrapping the window motif around the corner and addressing it.

Missed opportunities all over this one.

eJ7k2pI.png

6tdUqZ0.png

I'm mostly there with you, in that, I very much dislike the new podium and massing in relation to the heritage home.

However, I would add, I didn't like the original either.

I agree the height on the new one is too low.

The actual architectural aesthetic on both is lacking though I marginally prefer the styling on the newer render, excepting the height/massing issue (which is no small matter).

I think there are so many problems w/this site/proposal.

First, this site really needs to include the Church to the north. Yes, yes, I know you have to work with what the developer actually owns, but I just feel this is a beyond challenging assembly given
the presence of the heritage building on the corner and the scale of development contemplated.

I think if one added the property to the north there'd be room to be more deferential to the heritage property and to more thoughtfully mass the site in respect of its surroundings.

I also think the overall tower is mediocre to put it charitably, but the office-tower aesthetic on portions is more egregious still.

If that is an office section, this would be a great place for that inset massing, and darkening the glass towards black to provide a contrast with the heritage brick rather than a jarring clash.

Last edited:
Minor Variance application submitted. Requesting variances to permit height, setbacks, dwelling units, parking spaces, amenity spaces.

gwew43.JPG
hbrefd.JPG
423w.JPG
rtnb.JPG
rerges.JPG
erdfs.JPG
g2fvw2qe.JPG
rebedr.JPG
rgeebh.JPG
trfrds.JPG

Bland as can be tower aside, that podium is absolute rubbish. Flat wall of glass piercing down to a dinky 2 storey, barely there corner presence. The brick detailing also looks like they took inspiration from those newer format outdoor suburban shopping centres. IBI didn't even try with this one.

Super bland tower, especially in that area joining some great ones like the Selby. But the public realm has some potential IMO.

This is a cheap, poor-man's version of 88 Scott. There's not one redeeming feature coming with this joke of a proposal.

According to an email from Concert, the sales centre for this project is nearing completion and is scheduled to open this September.

Back