News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Canadian beer is hard to get internationally, except the poor quality mass-market beers. I find it amusing and pathetic how much some Americans rave over how much better Labatt Blue is or Molson Export or Dry. They're all bleh to me. Its like cheap wine, it can be ok but it leaves you feeling dissatisfied.

Oh hell, I'll drink whatever someone's buying me :D

you can actually get moosehead abroad in some countries... i think its bottled internationally by Guiness.

Some more "brewed in TO":

Dennison's (they may have closed though):
wheat beer, lager, maybe one other...
C'est What:
brews 3 unique beers, I believe - a hemp ale (which is pretty weird), a chocolate porter (which is quite good), and some other one.

Had some time recently to try the Amsterdam Rasberry Lager ...

It's simply incredible.

Organic from Mill St. Brewery tastes great as well. Picked one up from the LCBO on Queens Quay.

Tayser- to get the good stuff you'll probably have to come here and visit. The best beers are all microbrewed. Toronto has a lot of pubs.. lots of Brit expats here of course so good beer is at hand. THey have the usual popular imports from britain on tap- Guiness, Caffreys, kilkenny, smithwicks, Fullers, John Smiths, Double diamond, Tetleys, tartan, Murphy's, boddingtons, speckled hen etc... but many have local brews as well. Some local breweries are:

- Amsterdam Brewing Co.
- Black Oak Brewing Co.
- Brick Brewing Co. Ltd.
- Cameron's Brewing Co.
- Church Key Brewing Co.
- Glenora Springs Brewery,
- Kawartha Lakes Brewing Co.
- Niagara Falls Brewing Co.
- Steam Whistle Brewing
- Upper Canada Brewing Co.
- Granite Brewing Co.
- F&M Brewery
- Wellington County Brewing Co.
- Sleeman Brewing and Malting Co.
- Durham Brewing Co.
- Magnotta Brewery
- Creemore Springs Brewery
- Mill street brewery

these are all in or near the GTA- regionally there are more of these small operations. LAbatts is also based in Toronto- they are the largest commercial operation in canada and sell extensively overseas. Their BLUE is the most popular.

If you come here: Amsterdam brewing co in Toronto has some good stuff- Nutbrown ale and their Amber are pretty good. The Granite Brewing Co. makes the best local brew though- a Peculiar is excellent and a Ringberry ale on a hot summers day just can't be beat.

I've had a few Aus beers before, NZ as well- however i'm afraid I can't remember what they are :(

Canadian alcohol in the US

Moosehead is commonly available in the United States, along with Labatt Blue and Molson Canadian. They also sell Molson Golden, which I'd never really heard of before I moved here! You can also find Molson Ice in certain places (varies from state to state), but that's about it for Canadian beers. I found Black Label in a Pennsylvania "state store" once.

Curiously, I've never seen any Canadian wines sold in the US.

Another oddity: there are no "hard" coolers sold in the US. While they do market Seagrams, Mike's Hard Lemonade or various other "vodka" drinks, these are actually "malt flavored beverages" and not the real deal. For example, in Canada Mike's is about 7%/vol (made from vodka), as I recall, but in the US it's only 5% (and an entirely different drink).

Does anyone know why this is the case? I've always been curious about it.

Re: Canadian alcohol in the US

When I lived in DC, Black Label in the 32 oz bottles was the number one cheap beer sold in 1988. I imagine it's still popular there. I never saw it in Philly or NYC. When you walked the streets of DC you would see empty bottles of Black Label all over the place and bums in the park with it in a bag. Schlitz blue bull was a distant second low end beer at the time.

Regarding the Mill Street Brewery, I think it's branched out into more styles...I was at their brewery yesterday and they were offering samples of the Organic beer, as well as two others: Tank House Ale, and a Weissbier. You could also get a few others including a 'sparkling ale' and a coffee porter. The Weissbeer and Tank Ale that I tried were quite good, although the small bottles do take some getting used to.

When I was downtown visiting my cousin and his new wife on Sept 6, I had a chance to try some Amsterdam. And I was surprised at how good the Raspberry flavoured one was. Anyway, the price was right - got a few free ones at the bar across the street from where it is brewed. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the bar. I recall the beer normally costs SIX DOLLARS a bottle. Thank god we only had to pay for one of them.

I had a non-fosters australian pint at the Tranzac club but forget the name. I think the beers brewed in Toronto have mostly been covered. There are a lot of regional beers I didn't see mentioned like Algonquin, Muskoka, all the brick beers from KW, Hamilton's lakeport brewery products, Cameron's and props to Caledon's Creemore (although already mentioned). Also, there are dozens of places that brew their own, although one questions the chemical composition of such liquids as Sneaky Dee's house beer.

The cheapest beer in the Cayman Islands is Labatt Blue?
Go figure.

Off topic - if you want to taste in my opinion the greatest beer that I've tasted, its Cristal (A Cuban Beer) - you can't get it at the Beer Store but you can get it at Vinnes for some reason. They also have patio umberallas advertising the stuff. In Cuba, is $1 US at a bar, at Vinnies, its $6 CDN.

I am not a fan a brick brewery, Waterloo Dark, yech. I also don't like Red Cap. I kinda tastes what I would envishion what rotten eggs tastes like.

My dad drinks some kinda Port Credit Brew (Mississauga) called old Credit, or port brew, or something like it. The bottles are twice the size of normal bottles - its ok. I'd rather drink Moosehead if not Cristal.

Canadian beer is hard to get internationally, except the poor quality mass-market beers. I find it amusing and pathetic how much some Americans rave over how much better Labatt Blue is or Molson Export or Dry. They're all bleh to me. Its like cheap wine, it can be ok but it leaves you feeling dissatisfied.

Molson Export rings a bell with me. I've recently started working in the CBD and been finding secluded pubs / bars in countless back laneways etc - I'm literally seeing 10 x the range of beers on tap - and loving it ;)

Myeah, Fosters tastes like arse - every Aussie knows that, that's we export the crap! LOL :)

get this into ya:

crown-1.jpg

That's one of CUB's (Carlton & United Breweries) top of the range beers, commonly around 6 to 7 bucks (AUD) for a stubbie such as the one above.

bogtrotter: awesome list, I'm gonna be keep an eye out.

I shall report back later!

cheers

Back