I don't mean to pick on Casa, because I think this is an issue with all new construction, but those windows are tiny and few and far between.

Not sure what else you could do here.

All of the outside walls are floor-to-ceiling glass so having small venting windows is really the only solution. Don't forget that each room has its own set of sliding glass balcony doors that could be opened as wide as you want whenever you want to let in fresh air. (Most suites have 2 or 3 sets of doors... so there are lots of options for fresh air).

Last edited:
March 28 2009 update

Casa viewed from the east ~

IMG_3618.jpg

Nine floors to go plus rooftop/mech., 453 feet of shimmering glass, presumably a great looking entrance... Casa (and hopefully X) will likely turn out to be the jewels of the neighbourhood.

From the west today.

If memory serves correct, I believe the final height will be higher than the Bay tower but lower than the CIBC tower from this angle.

DSCN4462.jpg

From the west today.

If memory serves correct, I believe the final height will be higher than the Bay tower but lower than the CIBC tower from this angle.

DSCN4462.jpg

It will be, here's the data I have:

44 Charles St. W. [Manulife Apartments] 544 ft. 51 floors
2 Bloor St. E. [HBC] - 439 ft. 34 floors
Casa - 453 ft. 46 floors (seems to be wrong)
2 Bloor St. W. [CIBC] - 488 ft. 34 floors

Walking up Yonge St. today... Holy crap that's tall!

By my count they've just finished pouring the flooring of the 39th level.

DSCN4466.jpg

DSCN4467.jpg

DSCN4469.jpg

DSCN4472.jpg

I find the balconies are way too transparent – once residents have all of their crappy furniture and junk on them the building will end up looking like a giant vertical garage sale (just like 22 Wellesley...)

I have to agree... The glass is too transparent. I was hoping the glass would have much more of a mirror effect... but I still love how it's turning out overall... especially from afar. Being able to see all of the vertical lines of the mullions between the vertical lines of the railings adds kind of a cool 3d effect.

DSCN4451.jpg

In regards to 22 Wellesley, the main difference at Casa I think is that the first floor of suites does not begin until the 6th floor so the balconies aren't right in your face.

At 22 Wellesley, once you recover from looking at the laughable lobby, the suites begin on the 2nd floor so passersby really can be overwhelmed by the crap piling up on the balconies.

22-4_Sept23-07.jpg

(photo by dt_toronto_geek)

That said, I do think your concern is legit SimplyDan because I have noticed this issue whenever I go by Spire. But, unlike the unfortunate situation at 22 Wellesley, I doesn't seem awful here. It just looks like people are living there.

DSCN3363.jpg

Last edited:
I find the balconies are way too transparent – once residents have all of their crappy furniture and junk on them the building will end up looking like a giant vertical garage sale (just like 22 Wellesley...)

Yup, I agree with that wholeheartedly simply Dan. It's kind of odd that many condos insist on white window coverings to attain visual consistency and then others go for the (as you so eloquently worded it) "giant vertical garage sale" look.

Casa beginning to make a bold impression from Church & Wellesly today.

From the west today.

DSCN4462.jpg
The only decent (completed) post-1940 buildings in that shot are Manulife, the Woodsworth residence, and possibly 1 St. Thomas.

Back