I bought a 1BR with a 10x10 BR and they wanted $2000...total ripoff. My friend just had his 780sq ft condo redone with top grade laminate and everything in the job cost $3000.

From the Casa website. This must be the 6th floor north west corner Foglia suite.

CASA_May_09_bathroom.jpg
CASA_May_09_big_room.jpg

CASA_May_09_kitchen.jpg
CASA_May_09_sliding_door.jpg

Very nice finishes. No bulkheads in the living room too! I wonder if they'll turn a unit or 2 into model suites.

These were the "standard" finishes (except they wanted more cash to delete carpeting in the bedrooms) and they and look great! Dventura is right that they overcharged to include wood laminate in the bedrooms, but I went for it 'cause I didn't want carpeting and it would probably cost more to redo the entire unit later. I didn't want to try and match the rest of the unit's floors by installing them afterwards either. One "problem" though: in the photos, the flooring has been installed going left-to-right (east-west). This wouldn't be my preference, as the hall entrance would look better the other way (north-south). Shouldn't the entrance dictate the direction? Does it matter?

Last edited:
Archetype...is this your unit? I too went with the darkest standard flooring...but I thought they looked darker in the pics (there was an upgrade floor that was a bit darker than the darkest standard) so you can confirm the flooring in that unit is the standard one? I also went with the same counter and cabinets in mine...I wasn't a big fan of the handles on the sample but didn't want to pay for the upgraded cabinets...I have to say I'm very pleased with how the cabinets turned out looking. The appliances for standard are very decent as well. So what upgrades did you chose? Could you give us the breakdown with prices? I think I saw you went with the undermount sink ($800?) And are your ceilings smooth? Thanks.

I think the floors shown on the 6th floor unit are the same as what I got. I also took the "standard" scavolini kitchen cabinets, but I opted for white, with the white cesar stone countertops and a black stone backsplash for contrast. I had a cabinet inferiority complex since I really liked the lacquered finish of the upgrade, but I kind of like what I see from the standard kitchen, and didn't have to pay $10-20,000 extra. As for the ceiling, I definitely hate stucco, but wasn't about to pay $5,000 for a smooth ceiling. I'm leaving it concrete for now and can always plaster it later if the concrete is too rough. Concrete can look really cool though.

to my knowledge rule # 1 in determining which way that hardwood or laminate is laid is the dimensions of the room (assuming a more or less rectangular layout): the wood should run with the axis of the longest dimension. Rule # 2 : If you have a square or irregular shaped room the wood should run perpendicular to the main window (with the direction of incoming natural light). I guess in a corner condo unit it would be very hard to follow either of these rules and there is always likely one irregular portion of the room which would have looked better with the wood laid in the opposite way. You have a good point that the entrance is a fairly important area that you would want to look proper as everyone will notice and gain their first impression from this location.

just as another price comparison I installed my own hardwood floor in my livingroom a year ago. The area is approx 20' x 20' L shape. It cost me $1200 in materials plus $170 (what a scam!!!) to rent the pneumatic nailer and compressor from Home Depot plus 11.5 hours of my own labour + 6 hours of labour from my g/f.

Last edited:
Archetype, I think those are the standard dark floors. Hickory molasses. The upgrade was browner. I too went for the standard white cabinets because I wasn't prepared to pay the huge premium for the high gloss. I was in the sales center the other day and noticed that the standard white cabinets have brushed metal frames. Pretty slick. I forgot about that, and now think they're going to look pretty good with my concrete grey caesarstone countertops, undermount sink, and toros black tumbled marble mosaic backsplash. Same cabinets and finishes in the bathroom. Tumbled marble mosaic everywhere! I really wanted the built in integrated appliances but again, was not prepared to pay the huge developer premium. So I upgraded to the Kitchen Aid package - at least I could substantiate that cost with a little bit of research (still a bit high, but really nice appliances). Had to strike a balance between the convenience of getting some of the upgrades I wanted, ready when I move in, versus getting screwed by those ridiculous prices. As you can see, I'm REALLY excited about my unit.

That is a very awesome photo. I have no idea how people can live up that high though. *shudders*

That is a very awesome photo. I have no idea how people can live up that high though. *shudders*

Ditto K. I've always been curious about something. To those people who have lived on a high floor for a long time, do you get tired of it, do you feel disconnected from the city? I've always preferred the bottom 2 floors where I can still converse with people going by, etc.

Back