It appears to be a 54 storey tower on a 4 storey podium and not a 58 storey tower on a 4 storey podium as described in the application - for a total of 58 floors (not 62)

Yeah, seems that way...i believe it still does not change the overall height (202.4 meters) of this structure.

Looks like a taller version of CASA I, with identical base, wrap around balconies, and rooftop hat element. I like the first tower, but I'm really getting tired of aA's copy and paste repetitive architecture. Their designs don't seem to be evolving/improving at all.

I'm pretty sure in a perfect world aA would build much more unique towers...but hey...they have a client, and if the client says "I want Casa 2" then if aA is smart, they will design Casa 2.

Your anger is misplaced.

While I'm sure on a case by case basis that sometimes occurs, in my experience that is generally not the case. Usually the client provides the architect with a survey, and says design it. If somebody wanted an exact copy of CASA, they would probably not hire aA to do it, when a cheaper architect could simply copy the design. There will likely be a brief discussion about expected GFA/height based on discussions with the councilor and planners, and probably a silent understanding to design something that is realistic to build, however the final look is generally up to the architect. In fact, I know of some cases where the final tower design from the architect was not unique enough and the client requested the architect come up with a new idea.

But something important to note is that the design will often be changed (and in the process watered down) during the approvals process. It's very difficult to design something that the councilor, planners, community, and various city departments can all agree on. If the community wants an increased setback on one side, or decreased height, the cool tower articulation they once had must go out the window to maintain the GFA numbers they need to make the project viable. It's a challenging balance, and one that becomes more and more difficult as large enough tall tower sites disappear in the downtown. A very smart person on this forum once told me something along the lines of, "the road is paved with developers who tried to do something special".

Not sure if serious?

they must be being facetious ... P+S and Kirkor in the same sentence as aA ?!?

if this project is indeed CASA 2, why wouldn't it look similar to the original?
it's no different than X/X2, MLS 1/2, Pinnacle 1/2, ICE 1/2, Radio City NT/ST, Vu NT/ST, Solaris 1/2, etc.

it's no different than X/X2, MLS 1/2, Pinnacle 1/2, ICE 1/2, Radio City NT/ST, Vu NT/ST, Solaris 1/2, etc.

Great!! more cookie cutter, making everything look the same.

What happen!! everyone forgot to dream and build things that are not square, glasswalls, using the same colours, build them small???

I sure hope this is not a Casa2 and something new.

How about an Absolute 90 storey building???

This seems disappointing even though I love CASA... I wonder if that onslaught of so many similar looking aA buildings could make them become the commie blocks of my generation? (probably not since there are so many more buildings now)

Also, I think I should hold back any harsher criticism until I see a rendering and not just a line drawing. Same can be said for a couple of the other announced buildings...

Last edited:
Great!! more cookie cutter, making everything look the same.

What happen!! everyone forgot to dream and build things that are not square, glasswalls, using the same colours, build them small???

I sure hope this is not a Casa2 and something new.

How about an Absolute 90 storey building???

Doesn't that go against what you are asking for? What makes a 90 storey Absolute copy different from a 62 storey Casa copy?

Yes, I'm shocked myself, Krigor? Especially considering some of their less than stellar past contributions. I'm not a big fan of theirs, however recently they have developed some interesting designs (for projects in Toronto, the stuff they make up in Markham can stay up there for all I care). For example, Hullmark, Westside Gallery Lofts, Centrium, World on Young and Bridge + Connect. I'd take any of those over what's coming out of aA these days,

As for aA… Case2 is a repeat of Casa which never really impressed me. Sure the podium is lovely but the tower itself is quite bland. It looks great in comparison to BSN across the street, but just about anything would. Same issue with Clear Sprits & Market Wharf, great podiums bland towers. 501 Young doesn't even have that going for it. Neither does U condo, which is very similar in design and scale to the MLS condos and what's with the town houses on Bay st? Murano is nothing special. Once again it might look good compared to another nearby building – ROCP, but why stop there when the nearby Lumiere is superior. X has been their best effort most recently, but even it is flawed with that obtuse mechanical box.

They've been producing one glass box design after another as if they're rolling them off a production line, your not making cars here damn it. The sole exception is ICE, the only aA design that I’m looking forward too. Otherwise they have not brought anything interesting or unique to the market in quite a while.

At least they're actually trying at Page and Steele. Yes some of their designs have been haphazard (Backstage, Oceanclub, Water park city) but most of their products are decent. Such as West Lake, One Vahalla, Tango, the Pinnacle project in Mississauga, MLS, Chaz, One Sherway, Park Place, Malibu. These buildings are all much like your typical aA's product; good in some respects, flawed in others.

More importantly however, P+S have brought some of the more imaginative and stylized contributions to our city such as Panorama, the Met & Encore, Museum House, and One Bedford with 355 King, 40 Scott st. and the future Delta hotel following in that tradition. Lets not forget that they are the design team behind two of the city's most recent iconic additions - The Ritz and the new Four Seasons. Now that's how to do a glass box right, aA.

Doesn't that go against what you are asking for? What makes a 90 storey Absolute copy different from a 62 storey Casa copy?

There is no comparison there are no other buildings like Absolute in the GTA. Where as we have dozens of glass boxes like Casa, the only difference is this one will be taller than most.

Back