Not to be grouchy, but I actually think this design is pretty lame. It's a particularly monotonous rendition of a design move that was very popular a decade ago - the continuous folded plane that goes from floor to wall to floor again. I think that the individual elevations have almost no character - just plain, horizontal striations of frosted balcony glass (I'm assuming that's what the slightly translucent white material is supposed to be).

Here are some way cooler takes on the same spatial idea:

Diller%20Scofidio%20Renfro%20-%20Eyebeam%20Museum%20of%20Art%20and%20Technology.jpg

educatorium1.jpg

museum-of-image-and-sound-by-diller-scofidio-renfro-9.jpg

the proposed condo would look interesting in the neighbourhood. i live in Space Condos at 255 Richmond Street East. with my mortgage up for renewal in 2013, i may just move next door

I think it's a nifty little thing. Good marks for them even making the effort! It's good to see such a strong volumetric feel to the design, instead it just being floors stacked up from the lot line.

update:

as a resident of 255 Richmond Street East, i've been notified that Brad Lamb will be meeting with my building's Board of Directors around mid-July 2011 to discuss the project. since we are literally just a few metres from the Goodwill depot, Mr Lamb is seeking support from the Board to go ahead with the rezoning to allow construction of the 100+ unit luxury condominium.

Could they not put it on wheels and trundle it up to Bloor Street, north of the ROM? With an entire floor for each luxury condo? There must be a leftover site there that they could squeeze it into.

update:

as a resident of 255 Richmond Street East, i've been notified that Brad Lamb will be meeting with my building's Board of Directors around mid-July 2011 to discuss the project ...

meeting has been cancelled due to unspecified complications (note in the elevator didn't explain further) so the project is either delayed or cancelled outright. anyone else with more details may want to chime in.

Why do all the creative projects encounter issues? Thompson, Ganesvoort, Giraffe and now this. There are many more unfortunate failures; it seems the unique proposals don't make it, and the repetitive crap continues unabated. Is Toronto really that afraid of unique design?

Fortress, their equity investor has postponed their future investments in the project. Property was just just closed. Interesting to see what the calamity is of the project and what will really happen.

Why do all the creative projects encounter issues? Thompson, Ganesvoort, Giraffe and now this. There are many more unfortunate failures; it seems the unique proposals don't make it, and the repetitive crap continues unabated. Is Toronto really that afraid of unique design?

I think so. Myself and some friends bemoan the same, repetitive boxes going up all the time. No creativity. This city deserves better....

I bemoan your same, repetitive whining posts. I wonder which is more likely to change: dynamic growing Toronto... or you?

Back