News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Bob Rae is about as palatable as Iggy Pop. He's given me a horrible taste in my mouth since the Rae Review.

Give me Gerard Kennedy or Ken Dryden anyday.

Bob Rae will never lead the Federal Liberal Party. There are too many memories on the part of provincial Liberals who readily recall the era of provincial NDP government who will never forgive him. This is probably one reason why Dion is leading the party right now.

After Dion fails, Iggy will probably succeed.

I can see Kennedy having a shot, though I also see Dion as having blown it, so that political alliance is weakened.

True, Kennedy could (and should) have a go of it. However, his success - or lack - of might depend on how desperate the Liberals are post-Dion. A majority might feel as if Ignatief looks more leader-like and has hung around despite his past loss. Hopefully Kennedy will take a shot at it. The last thing the Liberals needs is a coronation.

Personally, I would like Scott Brison to take another shot - he did not do well the last time around - but hopefully he can improve his standing. I would have an open mind with Rae and actually feel he would do a reasonable job. As the NDP Rae (Premier of Ontario) I felt that he entered government as the debt went out of control and was hamstrung by the general NDP caucus - and therefore had a very limited ability to take action that may go against the core membership of the NDP. I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling with Iggy but he seems likely to be the front-runner -- and yes I would even consider him. I cannot vote for Kennedy though - just a gut feeling that he is too far left of centre (yes farther left than an ex-NDPer).

Bob Rae is about as palatable as Iggy Pop. He's given me a horrible taste in my mouth since the Rae Review.
Rae was the reason I got my Canadian citizenship back in 1993. I was a unversity student at the time, and knew that I must do my part in getting him out of office.

Now, twelve years after his ouster, I'm faced with having Rae as my MP :mad: That is crazy. Unfortunately, my riding will almost always vote Liberal. Myself, while in Cabbagetown I've voted both Liberal and Conservative, both Federally and Provincially (planned to vote Green last time around), but I just can't place an X beside Rae's name. At the end of the day it doesn't matter, as the clones of Toronto-Centre will always vote Liberal as the clones of Calgary always vote Conservative.

would have an open mind with Rae and actually feel he would do a reasonable job. As the NDP Rae (Premier of Ontario) I felt that he entered government as the debt went out of control and was hamstrung by the general NDP caucus - and therefore had a very limited ability to take action that may go against the core membership of the NDP. I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling with Iggy but he seems likely to be the front-runner -- and yes I would even consider him. I cannot vote for Kennedy though - just a gut feeling that he is too far left of centre (yes farther left than an ex-NDPer).

I have an open mind towards Rae as well, but there are long memories among many provincial Liberals from the Rae era, and they would not be happy organizers. I agree with your take on his era, he got elected during really bad economic time. And he has moved toward the centre, making Kennedy look a little more to left. But all of this is issue-dependent, too.

Iggy really is not warm and fuzzy, is he? But he probably has the intellect to take Harper on - should the Liberals ever decide collectively what exactly they are going to be about. Their pantry of platitudes is being raided by other parties.

The way I'm approaching this election is that there's no way that the as-yet named Conservative candidate will win, and whoever does win, if the election occurs before a general election, won't be in that long anyway, so I'd rather vote with my conscience.

That being said, I'm not for or against Rae, but I think I'm going to vote Green.

I'm gonna vote Liberal myself. Provincially, the previous election I voted Green but this federal election we really need to do our best to oust Harper. It's pretty much proven that he doesn't give a rats ass about anything but following in steps which makes me nickname him Bush Jr. Lite.

The fed Liberals still have the same problem now as they did at the leadership convention... a strong list of candidates but no clear cut leader. The libs have done a great job of attracting star / big name candidates but for whatever reason none of them rises to the top as a leader that can truly speak to all Canadians. I have noticed some improvement in Dion's English in recent interviews but he just lacks that level of charisma and conciseness in his answers. That being said I plan to vote Liberal in the next election to hopefully contribute to Harper's downfall. Lets follow Australia's lead and further isolate the American right!

Lets follow Australia's lead and further isolate the American right!

The American right doesn't need our help. They are isolating themselves quite effectively.

Back