News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

York Centre checking in. Michael Levitt always seemed more interested in Jewish issues, so it's not surprising that he accepted a position with the Wiesenthal Centre. But we had literally just voted him into office. It sucks that we apparently wasted our vote on someone who really had no interest in doing the job.

If the Liberals are taking this riding for granted, they might be in for a surprise. Conservative signs are everywhere in our neighbourhood. I've only seen a few for the Liberals, and only one for Mad Max (in a public spot, not a private lawn).

I'm still debating whether or not I even want to bother voting. And I've never missed an election.

York Centre checking in. Michael Levitt always seemed more interested in Jewish issues, so it's not surprising that he accepted a position with the Wiesenthal Centre. But we had literally just voted him into office. It sucks that we apparently wasted our vote on someone who really had no interest in doing the job.

If the Liberals are taking this riding for granted, they might be in for a surprise. Conservative signs are everywhere in our neighbourhood. I've only seen a few for the Liberals, and only one for Mad Max (in a public spot, not a private lawn).

I'm still debating whether or not I even want to bother voting. And I've never missed an election.
I blame our stupid FPTP system, but a vote for the Cons is wasted in this riding.

Ya I think this is the first time a Filipino candidate has run in this riding, and I think it might be the deciding factor for many.
The Liberals are expecting the Jewish vote to win judging by their campaigning materials, but who knows if they'll turn out in a by-election.

In respect of this by-election (Toronto-Centre), I just offer my observation from walking a portion of the riding today (roughly Bloor to Wellesley and Sherbourne to Yonge.)

I saw one Liberal team out putting up signs.

I encountered one NDP'er handing out pamphlets.

Byelections are not really too meaningful, given low turnouts. Even if there is an upset in one of these ridings, it will likely be reversed before too many months go by if we have an election in the new year.

So is anyone going to campaign about issues in York Center?
Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 9.29.25 AM.png

I literally just got his brochure -- all about comparing Libs vs. Cons on matters of...Israel. Nothing about our riding or local issues. Not a single word.

We aren't Jewish. I don't know why Tiangson thinks we are losing sleep over Israel. What about the concerns and needs of OUR RIDING, right here? I used to feel like Levitt was always putting Israel first, but here are the Cons following the exact same playbook.

This is the sort of blatant pandering that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Last I checked, we had a diverse population with many cultures and religious groups represented. Yes, we have a significant Jewish population. But we are more than that -- why not include everyone, instead of giving the impression you only serve the interests of one group?

I'm assuming there is another brochure for those of who us who are further down on the "voter kiss-ass" list.

Because that one interest group has a lot more resources to affect the outcome. They think they can afford to lose people who may not be pro-israel or don't think it has a place in our elections, because the number and network of those who do here are significantly larger. Which is why I'm surprised there isn't more Filipino targeted messaging being seen, as that's the other shoe in York Center.

So is anyone going to campaign about issues in York Center?
View attachment 278171
Who care‘s about their views on Israel, anymore than their views on New Zealand?

My Canadian-born Jewish friends don’t care about Israel anymore than my kids care about their Dad’s UK or their Great-Great Grandmother's Ukrainian origins.

Last edited:
Byelections are today.

I think the Liberals win both ridings handedly, with Annamie Paul edging out the NDP for second place in Toronto Centre.

I rode my bike around York Centre last weekend and was surprised by the number of Conservative signs. If the "sign war" is any indication, they may do a bit better than expected.

I went through there by bus today, and was taken by the (street ROW, natch) signs for "Max Bernier". Really? That's an even lamer attempt to Anglo-colloquialize a name than "Tom Mulcair"...

Only 20% of polls reporting as at 9:30pm.

But interesting numbers.

1603762308447.png

31% reporting up north, and a very tight race:

1603762370850.png

A neurotic skunk would win in Toronto Centre as long as it ran under the Liberal banner.

Back