• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
I wonder. Sometimes this place can become a bit of an echo chamber.

I was being facetious. Poor attempt at humour. I apologize.

It is an echo chamber, which is why I enjoy going against the grain. :) It's never fun when everyone is a yes man to each other.

Are you serious? These companies do work in other cities and countries, as well. Why should they focus on these two Toronto projects anymore than their other works in various cities? What makes 45 Bay St and Toronto's Oxford proposal anymore important than Hudson Yards, or any other development these two companies are developing? Just because we'd like to see these two projects get underway soon, that doesn't mean they're the top priority for the owners of these properties.

Oxford has developement projects underway in NYC (Hudson yards) London (Leadenhall/CheeseGrater), Toronto (RBC, EY Tower, Yorkdale, Square One), Calgary, Vancouver.

They have their eyes EVERYWHERE and that includes Toronto (the the Cumberland Terrace site and the MTCC site and further developments at Square One & Yorkdale...). Go look at Oxford's development group and its size sometime. Massive. Ditto for Cadillac, Caisse, etc...

You're only going to do developments when and where they work! If 45 Bay doesn't work at the moment, it's cheaper to sit on the site and wait than do something which doesn't work and precludes you from doing something which DOES work later on.

Mithras:

Indeed - and besides, would one really want them to do what's possible now instead of putting up a building that maximize the value of the site? An outcome based on impatience is exactly the opposite of the (presumably) desirable one.

AoD

This exchange happened a few hours ago on Twitter. Glen Murray might not be talking about 45 Bay at all, but could it mean we'll have news soon?
https://twitter.com/Glen4ONT/status/447172170192793600

ScreenShot2014-03-21at113754PM_zps2beee5fe.png

how much would it even be needed in a decade? I mean all of the bus lines will be permanently replaced with train service within 10 years.. Just deal with the current one IMO.

The location is not optimal. Why not have it at Union Station where travellers can transfer more easily to other modes, and where buses can get on and off the Gardiner quickly?

I'd like to see offices here rather than condo. In fact there is a whole superblock at play here.
Or, maybe a park? Incorporating the block immediately North?

Huh, your kidding right?

thats the plan.. Its one of the major things the liberals want to fund with the transit taxes. Starting 4 or 5 years from now and slowly phasing in off peak train service on all lines up until the mid 2020's. This bus terminal will be essentially useless other than for extremely late night trips in a decade if everything goes well.

edit: for some reason I thought this was about the GO bus terminal... oops.

Last edited:
thats the plan.. Its one of the major things the liberals want to fund with the transit taxes. Starting 4 or 5 years from now and slowly phasing in off peak train service on all lines up until the mid 2020's. This bus terminal will be essentially useless other than for extremely late night trips in a decade if everything goes well.

edit: for some reason I thought this was about the GO bus terminal... oops.

Are you talking about GO buses? Currently the bus network is MUCH more than just replacements for trains during off peak hours. The bus network connects a lot of areas that are not serviced by the trains (Square One, Scarborough Town Centre, Yorkdale, etc.). If anything, buses will be a large part of the GO expansions along with better train service.

Yes but those don't use the downtown terminal. Regardless, the coach buses are a very different manner that absolutely need a new terminal.

Back