• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Why is one so much taller than the other? That's not what we're getting in real life...
I suspect it was an older model they had hanging around, where they dusted off and rolled out for this exhibit. The nuisance of the towers are still captured though.

Older version of this projects.
look at the older renders

5750-32266.jpeg

5750-32265.jpeg
Wow I don’t think I ever noticed the old proposal included One Front West. I’d say this is more attractive than the proposal from architects-Alliance, theirs doesn’t feature the podium design or this same iconic glass.

Good cloudy sunny cloudy sunny Friday
The future path Bridge and cantilevered podium.
The core shrinking again. Level 43?
They always seem to be washing the windows/canopy glass every time I walk down the CIBC Park stairs.
The reflection off the MLSE building will be really nice when Phase 2 is fully glazed.

IMG_0744.jpeg

IMG_0745.jpeg

IMG_0747.jpeg

IMG_0815.jpeg

IMG_0766.jpeg

IMG_0768.jpeg

IMG_0769.jpeg

IMG_0765.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

IMG_0799.jpeg

IMG_0775.jpeg

IMG_0774.jpeg

IMG_0810.jpeg

IMG_0802.jpeg

It's impressive that you had the opportunity to visit their office; they truly produce remarkable work. Did you come across a model of the Gateshead Millennium Bridge? Four of us developed a very similar concept for a structural course in 1996 as seen in the images below. Inspired by and intended for the base of Yonge Street, our design featured a bridge that arched out beyond the dock wall, offering an enhanced view of the Toronto harbor. It was part of a fifth-year structural course within an architecture program. Although our version didn't feature an opening mechanism, our initial concept included arches that lifted for navigational clearance but time constraints prevented us from developing a functional design - the 1:50 static model below was sufficiently complex to construct. Interestingly, our proposal was finished just a few months before the announcement of the Gateshead competition winner. Of course, W.E. has gone on to design many notable bridges, such as the one at the Toronto Eaton Centre. Kudos to their ongoing excellence.View attachment 552212
Looks amazing! The exhibition was in central London - not at their offices unfortunately. Many architectural practices open up for Open House London (our equivalent to Doors Open, basically) so hopefully I'll get to visit one day.

They had a few sketches, and a modern 3D printed mini representation of the bridge (they had 40 projects to represent 40 years). You can find design sketches on their website.

Good cloudy sunny cloudy sunny Friday
The future path Bridge and cantilevered podium.
The core shrinking again. Level 43?
They always seem to be washing the windows/canopy glass every time I walk down the CIBC Park stairs.
The reflection of the MLSE building will be really nice when Phase 2 is fully glazed.

View attachment 552010

View attachment 552011

View attachment 552012

View attachment 552029

View attachment 552013

View attachment 552014

View attachment 552015

View attachment 552016

View attachment 552017

View attachment 552018

View attachment 552019

View attachment 552020

View attachment 552021

View attachment 552022
That glass sure is movin’, now. Love to see if. So quick question: Will this be taller than Phase 1? Or are they gonna be the same height as each other?

The thing I focus on is how high I am relative to what's around me. Because I think where it could become a danger for small aircraft or helicopters is if you're too high in the middle of somewhere wide open. Whereas if you're right next to a structure you're probably not a danger to helicopters and small planes because they're likely not flying within 30 meters of that structure. Or course, the DJI Mini 4 Pro (what I fly) is geofenced and regulated, so you couldn't break the rules even if you tried.

Here's what's 500 meter max altitude looks like beside the CN Tower. Not quite enough to clear the final section. CN Tower is 553 meters.

DJI_20240330081907_0202_D.jpg

Last edited:

Back