• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
This one will definitely take longer to get going. The huge site on Phase 1 helped things speed along at a blistering pace.
One day I'm hearing that this will be faster because the site the smaller
the other day I'm hearing it will take longer because the site is smaller

don't know what to believe anymore

That's easy. Believe those with the most expertise, not those with the loudest opinions. Let's just say, there is little overlap on THAT Venn diagram!
...and know the difference between those who claim to be experts and those who are experts.

Here's a hint: I'm not an expert. :(

Trees on NE corner of Bay & Lake Shore:

20210427_140911.jpg

One day I'm hearing that this will be faster because the site the smaller
the other day I'm hearing it will take longer because the site is smaller

don't know what to believe anymore
Not sure why a smaller site with the same sized building would ever make it faster. If the building was smaller...sure but it's effectively the same footprint on a much more congested site. This will definitely take a little longer to take off.

I’m not so sure. They don’t have the complicated podium levels here that the south phase did, but also has a deeper parking garage. We’ll have to see I guess.

Not sure why a smaller site with the same sized building would ever make it faster. If the building was smaller...sure but it's effectively the same footprint on a much more congested site. This will definitely take a little longer to take off.
I was under the impression that a smaller plot means less digging and building back up, which takes a rather long time, but if the parking goes down deeper, then I suppose it makes up for the smaller area

I was under the impression that a smaller plot means less digging and building back up, which takes a rather long time, but if the parking goes down deeper, then I suppose it makes up for the smaller area
It's a good point. I usually find the smaller plots have less staging area so things run a little slower but steel builds are their own thing.

Trees on NE corner of Bay & Lake Shore:

View attachment 315559

Great photo! Good to see this attempt being made.

It was spec'ed to be a White Pine; which it clearly is not.

Appears to be in the range of 35ft tall, a bit less that spec'ed but a very good size.

Cool looking trees. Are they some kind of deciduous fir? Dawn Redwood? They have some of those in Harbourfront Square.

I believe so, yes.

Keep in mind, I don't have the change order; and I'm looking at a bald, needle-less tree.

The only other one that looks vaguely similar is Bald Cyprus tree.

The base doesn't look right to me for that, so I lean Dawn Redwood.

The easy way to tell the difference is whether the needles are opposite or alternate..........but that doesn't work when they're bald!

Personally, I question that choice; likely more resilient than White Pine would have been; but I'm inclined to think a Swamp Hardwood such as Silver Maple or Swamp White Oak might have been a safer choice (and better looking in winter).

But I digress, I hope it does really well.

A Dawn Redwood with needles looks like this in summer:

1619575989949.png

From: https://plants.connon.ca/11100004/Plant/7497/Gold_Rush_Dawn_Redwood/

Bald Cyprus looks like this:

1619576338563.png

From: https://plants.connon.ca/11100004/Plant/474/Baldcypress/

Both species needles turn red to burnt orange in the fall, before dropping just like deciduous trees.

Both have only limited tolerance for salt.....but can handle some spray.

Great photo! Good to see this attempt being made.

It was spec'ed to be a White Pine; which it clearly is not.

Appears to be in the range of 35ft tall, a bit less that spec'ed but a very good size.

I believe so, yes.

Keep in mind, I don't have the change order; and I'm looking at a bald, needle-less tree.

The only other one that looks vaguely similar is Bald Cyprus tree.

The base doesn't look right to me for that, so I lean Dawn Redwood.

The easy way to tell the difference is whether the needles are opposite or alternate..........but that doesn't work when they're bald!

Personally, I question that choice; likely more resilient than White Pine would have been; but I'm inclined to think a Swamp Hardwood such as Silver Maple or Swamp White Oak might have been a safer choice (and better looking in winter).

But I digress, I hope it does really well.

Both species needles turn red to burnt orange in the fall, before dropping just like deciduous trees.

Both have only limited tolerance for salt.....but can handle some spray.
I guess the large raised planter protects from immediate salting from the streets around so although a bit of spray from the Gardiner would seem inevitable, hopefully they'll take ok.

Has to be tried right?

I guess the large raised planter protects from immediate salting from the streets around so although a bit of spray from the Gardiner would seem inevitable, hopefully they'll take ok.

Has to be tried right?

The raised planter helps, for sure. would eliminate or substantially so, salt from the sidewalk.

The setback from Lake Shore should mostly protect it; though when heavy vehicles book it through there at night there could be a pretty substantial spray.

But definitely the greatest risk is from the Gardiner.

The risk it two-fold, the spray going directly on the branches (or at edges of the season, the foliage)..; and what ends up settling in the soil below.

I too have hopes for it taking; it's certainly an expensive risk. ( I haven't seen their bill, but you'd be in the 15-20k range)

Last edited:
The raised planter helps, for sure. would eliminate or substantially so, salt from the sidewalk.

The setback from Lake Shore should mostly protect it; though when heavy vehicles book it through there at night there could be a pretty substantial spray.

But definitely the greatest risk is from the Gardiner.

The risk it two-fold, the spray going directly on the branches (or at edges of the season, the foliage)..; and what ends up settling in the soil below.

I too have hopes for it taking; it's certainly an expensive risk. ( I haven't seen their bill, but you'd be in the 15-20k range)

Another reason why I think we should get some nice noise and pollution barriers on the Gardiner, at least the section between Sherbourne and Strachan. Perhaps something tasteful like the Soundtube in Melbourne.

Another reason why I think we should get some nice noise and pollution barriers on the Gardiner, at least the section between Sherbourne and Strachan. Perhaps something tasteful like the Soundtube in Melbourne.

My first choice remains to tear it down; but if we must keep it............then mitigating its noise and aesthetic challenges; as well as the issue of salt spray sounds entirely sensible.

Back