• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
One could argue that Renault should have come up with their own logo in 1972 instead of using something so similar to CIBC's old 1966 logo. The 1966 CIBC logo was a open ended hollow diamond.
1632290768701.png

Last edited:
They’re really emphasizing this new diamond design. I can only assume the diamonds on the exterior of the buildings were to align with this as well.

My only gripe is that they should have had more noticeable nighttime lighting on the diamonds, like the Bank of China building in Hong Kong. That would look so cool on this.
6E66A3DE-B292-40AE-A4F3-A946148CED49.jpeg

One could argue that Renault should have come up with their own logo in 1972 instead of using something so similar to CIBC's old 1966 logo. The 1966 CIBC logo was a open ended hollow diamond.
View attachment 350623
Yikes, that logo sure took a nosedive after 1994. What were they thinking with the swoosh? They really dug deep to find something both forgettable and ugly. Right up up there with the "three men in a tub" redesign of the Ontario government logo in 2006. Fortunately, in both cases we've gone back to something serviceable, though maybe not quite at the level of the mid-century designs.

There is something that doesn't feel *quite* right about the new logo - the typeface is a little too loud, inelegant and dare I say immature; the mix of rounded and sharp corners of the diamond also felt "wrong".

Have to say TD still have to most timeless logo of the big 5 (followed by BMO, albeit adulterated since). They haven't been able to approach the output from the so called Golden Age of Canadian graphic design.

AoD

Last edited:
There is something that doesn't feel *quite* right about the new logo - the typeface is a little too loud, inelegant and dare I say immature; the mix of rounded and sharp corners of the diamond also felt "wrong".

Have to say TD still have to most timeless logo of the big 5 (followed by BMO, albeit adulterated since).

AoD

I think the 3 logos in the post above that the bank used from 1966-1994 are their best offers.

The middle one doesn't offer the Bank's name/acronym, and therefore might not be up for consideration in a global world where the logo simply isn't recognizable enough in all the places CIBC does business.

The early one omits colour (just Black) and might be hard to make 'pop' on the side of a building.

Though I think it's quite handsome.

My only issue w/the latter of the 3 and any other logo using the gold/red combo is that I think the colours are borderline kitsch.

I'm fine w/Burgandy and Gold.....but they've just not got the hues quite right.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a hint of dimension.

I think the 3 logos in the post above that the bank used from 1966-1994 are their best offers.

The middle one doesn't offer the Bank's name/acronym, and therefore might not be up for consideration in a global world where the logo simply isn't recognizable enough in all the places CIBC does business.

The early one omits colour (just Black) and might be hard to make 'pop' on the side of a building.

Though I think it's quite handsome.

My only issue w/the latter of the 3 and any other logo using the gold/red combo is that I think the colours are borderline kitsch.

I'm fine w/Burgandy and Gold.....but they've just not got the hues quite right.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a hint of dimension.

The switch from serif to non-serif is also a "problem" given the historical identity of the bank - and the typeface looks horizontally compressed, which is frankly ugly.

AoD

Have to say TD still have to most timeless logo of the big 5 (followed by BMO, albeit adulterated since). They haven't been able to approach the output from the so called Golden Age of Canadian graphic design.

AoD
Yes and no? That's a bit subjective though, IMO...

My issue with it is rather that it seemingly uses the Scotia bank's colour scheme, while some are confusing the diamond image with Renault. Although as mentioned, the colour scheme is far less clashing than what they where using.

Yikes, that logo sure took a nosedive after 1994. What were they thinking with the swoosh? They really dug deep to find something both forgettable and ugly. Right up up there with the "three men in a tub" redesign of the Ontario government logo in 2006. Fortunately, in both cases we've gone back to something serviceable, though maybe not quite at the level of the mid-century designs.
Swooshes were very much the design trend from the late 90s until just after 2010. Everything got a swoosh. Although CIBC seems to have jumped on the swoosh train earlier than most.

My issue with it is rather that it seemingly uses the Scotia bank's colour scheme, while some are confusing the diamond image with Renault. Although as mentioned, the colour scheme is far less clashing than what they where using.
In fairness, I bet a very large percentage of Canadians aren't familiar with the Renault logo, so they can kinda get away with it.

Back